Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Please do not put face paint on. I know the Duck Dynasty crowd will have you believe that you have to wear "makeup" in order to shoot a duck, but just know you do not. You do not need a duck call, fancy camo or $180 duck decoys to be successful either. Keep it simple, keep it real and most of all have fun. But if you do choose to use face paint, I hear black permanent magic marker works well and you only have to apply it one time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It can't hurt to use either, so why not! who cares what anyone else thinks. If it works for you keep doing it. Cold days I go with the facemask, really sunny days when Im in a layout boat or coffin I use facepaint, if I am just sitting in the reeds with great cover I won't use facepaint. Don't be afraid to try something new!

·
Administrator
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
But if you do choose to use face paint, I hear black permanent magic marker works well and you only have to apply it one time.
I almost fell off my chair laughing when I read this! My wife just purchased some of those scented markers for our children and I believe the black one smells like licorice, nothing like smelling like that crap for the season!

I appreciate all the feedback, I leave in 9 days for Saskatchewan to hunt snows for a week and the outfitter recommended either a face mask or face paint. I'll just stay down behind the mesh in the layout blind or go with a mask since the e-caller will be doing the calling.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
how 'bout some facial hair? takes away the glare of a shiny white face, and keeps you warm as well. No obstruction for calling.

Plus, I think the chicks dig it. You know, lumbersexual.

Reactions: KennyC and robiland

·
Registered
101 Posts
Lot's of face paint hate. I know for me, I like to watch the birds work, and I have been busted more then once for having my face upward. So I try and do something to help kill the shine.

I have noticed that when I see other hunters it's always the moon pie face that I see before anything else.

I am sure lots of people, that are better hunters then me, kill ducks without anything. I just have noticed a difference for me.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
I have noticed that when I see other hunters it's always the moon pie face that I see before anything else.
The thing I notice more than a shiny face is all the dark blobs in the phrag. Most waterfowl camo is too dark for our Utah marshes. Max4, Max5 and most of the Mossyoak stuff comes to mind. The Shadowgrass Blades camo is a bit lighter in color, but still not perfect. Now couple those dark blobs with the slightest movement and the ducks are outta there. In most cases I think a person would be better off in a faded beige Carhartt jacket.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The thing I notice more than a shiny face is all the dark blobs in the phrag. Most waterfowl camo is too dark for our Utah marshes. Max4, Max5 and most of the Mossyoak stuff comes to mind. The Shadowgrass Blades camo is a bit lighter in color, but still not perfect. Now couple those dark blobs with the slightest movement and the ducks are outta there. In most cases I think a person would be better off in a faded beige Carhartt jacket.
That's a fair point. It's also the reason when I bought a new coat (I was buying one anyway) I went with Shadowgrass Blades. I do think a Carhartt jacket would work great, they just leave a little to be desired in the waterproof department.

Maybe I just see the face cause it's poking up above the frag.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Well, if the guide insisted, I would use face paint. My two favorite things about hunting are watching wildlife and shooting my SX3, and face masks usually make it harder to do either of those.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I remember reading once how a guy never covered his face until he happened to be in a small plane that flew over a few duck ponds. He said the white shiny faces stood out like light bulbs from above as the hunters looked up at the passing plane... I typically just use a buff, pulled up part way paired with a camo ball cap or beanie and it works for me.

·
Registered
805 Posts
how 'bout some facial hair? takes away the glare of a shiny white face, and keeps you warm as well. No obstruction for calling.

Plus, I think the chicks dig it. You know, lumbersexual.
I think you would crap your pants to know how bad beards shine in the sun.
With that being said, no paint or masks for me until late in the year when it's so freakin' cold that I use a face mask to keep my face from getting frost bite not to hide from the birds.

I think there might be something to facial shine, but I've not worried about it a whole bunch......but the coolness factor of camo paint on your face can't be denied. Pro staff worthiness for sure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.