Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's not fall yet but it is starting to feel like it.

A buddy and I fished from our tubes today from 9:00 until 3:00 and picked up a few decent tiger trout using our usual fly gear. We used medium sink lines and size 6 & 8 bead head leeches and crystal buggers. The reservoir is at the C-pool so the deepest water we fished over was 15'.
The water temperature was 60-61 degrees, three degrees cooler than our last trip a little over a week ago.
Most of the fish were hooked in shallow water (3' - 6') while casting and stripping.
It was a fun day with very little wind until just after 1:00 and even then it wasn't too bad.
The leaves are starting to turn. :)

Water Plant Sky Water resources Mountain
Sky Plant Water resources Natural landscape Mountain
Vertebrate Water Organism Fish Salmon-like fish
Food Vertebrate Light Ingredient Fluid

·
Registered
253 Posts
On a scale of 1-5, how would you rate logistics/accessibility with a tube vs. kayak? I would like to dabble in either, but haven't heard much positive for tube over kayak.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How was the trek to the water with your tube? Was mud a problem?
It's about 400 feet from the parking area in the middle of the reservoir to the water and the mud was not too bad. I have pack straps for my fish cat which makes the trek easier.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On a scale of 1-5, how would you rate logistics/accessibility with a tube vs. kayak? I would like to dabble in either, but haven't heard much positive for tube over kayak.
A lot depends on the water you expect to fish.
The kayak is going to be heavier, a light weight one would be in the 30 to 40 pound range compared to a tube at 15 to 20 pounds.
A tube can be deflated so storage space in the garage is less.
You can cover the water quicker in a kayak than you can in a tube.
The tube is quieter than a kayak.
I haven't fished from a kayak so I don't know which one would be more comfortable to fish out of but my fish cat sits me up above the water level so just my butt gets a little wet.
They make pack straps for the fish cat which makes for easier transport to pack into remote lakes.

Either one will get you out on the water and into some fish.

You'll have fun, whatever your choice.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent, thank you very much! Some very good points, kinda leaning back towards the tube as i'd really only be interested in remote high country lakes.
The only problem now is being able to find one to buy.
They are like all other outdoor recreational items, they are in short supply.:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts