Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Administrator
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The King of Country, George Strait, has a few different songs about Texas, but my favorite is If It Wasn’t for Texas. Early on in my professional career, my family and I moved from the west to Dallas, TX. Little could I imagine at the time, the doors that would open and the opportunities that would present themselves because of our time in Texas. So, although Texas and Texans get a fair share of ridicule, Texas holds a special place in my heart.

My nine year old son and I just returned from his first deer hunt and it was a wonderful experience!

Day 1 we drove from Northeastern Utah to Lubbock, TX. I’m sure the rainstorms we encountered in New Mexico were a welcomed relief from the heat and drought.

A678B0C2-D811-4497-93A1-E1D04D091AAE.jpeg

Day 2 started with some breakfast at Rosa’s:

40172C8A-0006-469E-AC2F-3570FB8275B4.jpeg

Evening of Day 2, my son was able to kill his first buck - proud Dad moment!!

A573DED6-8AA1-4D16-B6B3-A177B6E0226A.jpeg
C71CC3F4-713A-4D94-9C55-821734DF5779.jpeg

We started Day 3 chasing pigs and he was unable to connect, but his shooting improved and finished out the day with a pretty good haul.

9EA507E8-5C1D-4FA5-8E88-EE107C21A77B.jpeg

With one more tag to fill, we again focused on deer for the final morning. The morning hunt didn’t disappoint:

D3896C55-09D6-442E-BDC0-591FBA8F6F36.jpeg

So happy that I’ve been blessed with such a wonderful hunting partner!!

· Registered
2,020 Posts
I was told years ago...."If you have to ask, you can't afford it".
I’ve heard that expression before and place zero stock in it. No one calls a place and says “charge me whatever” there’s always a discussion on price. I can afford a bit and always do cost comparisons.

My father in-law has more money than anyone I ever met, when he buys a new yacht with cash or a super car, he works out a price.

a fool and his money are soon parted

· Registered
8,421 Posts
Nice! My dad and I ran to Texas when I was 16 for a father son deer and pig hunt. Just magic. Except for the part where he shot me, but looks like you managed to avoid that potential quirk
Nobody on this forum reacted to this post with anything other than, “Can you blame him?”

· Registered
4,330 Posts
I’ve heard that expression before and place zero stock in it. No one calls a place and says “charge me whatever” there’s always a discussion on price. I can afford a bit and always do cost comparisons.

My father in-law has more money than anyone I ever met, when he buys a new yacht with cash or a super car, he works out a price.

a fool and his money are soon parted
You are correct about folks with money. The wealthy don't get to be wealthy by squandering their money away. Well, maybe a sitting senator or congressman does.

· Administrator
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like a great time Jeff! I know pigs are just considered land carp by most, but something about hunting piggies is really intriguing to me. Someday soon I'm gonna have to call up an outfitter in Texas and go shell out some money to help them with their pig "problem" lol.
Yeah, I really wasn't too interested in shooting hogs, until we got to Texas. Then, it was game on!! The pigs are super skittish little critters and don't hold still, so getting my son on them was a little challenging. However, he quickly got the hang of things! I'm thinking a helicopter hog hunt, or something like this would be a blast!!

· Administrator
11,554 Posts
I remember watching some of the first videos of them shooting pigs out of helicopters, and using a chase truck to pick up the ones that were shot. The last few videos that I have seen they just leave them in the fields or where they fell. I have no idea if they went back in to pick them up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts