Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
951 Posts
That's fantastic. Your son made some very good shots there. Good eating and lots of memories there. He'll always remember it. Did you go south into the hill country? I hunted pigs between Dallas and Llano.

Reactions: CPAjeff

· Administrator
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That's fantastic. Your son made some very good shots there. Good eating and lots of memories there. He'll always remember it. Did you go south into the hill country? I hunted pigs between Dallas and Llano.
How was the hunting over in the Hill Country? We were in SW Texas. Not a whole lot to see, view wise, but lots of animals!

Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape Grass

Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape Grass

· Registered
5,467 Posts
Yeah, I really wasn't too interested in shooting hogs, until we got to Texas. Then, it was game on!! The pigs are super skittish little critters and don't hold still, so getting my son on them was a little challenging. However, he quickly got the hang of things! I'm thinking a helicopter hog hunt, or something like this would be a blast!!

Pigs are a riot and extremely tasty. Glad to see you and your son had a good time!

Okay, I'm gonna have to pry and request a little more to this story.
CCG, maybe some day, sometime you'll get the full run down of that lovely December evening in 2004. But it's more of a performative piece, best relayed around a campfire

· Hunter/Friend
223 Posts
$3k for he and I both. I didn’t have any tags, just him. He was kind enough to lend me his 243 on a couple pigs though! Such a wonderful experience - we are booked again for 2023.
I might be reaching out to you next Spring to get some info, that is reasonable! What great memories too!

· Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
951 Posts
How was the hunting over in the Hill Country? We were in SW Texas. Not a whole lot to see, view wise, but lots of animals!
I was between Fredonia, Llano, and DFW.

Wade Middleton has a ranch down around there, maybe further south than you were. He has a bunch of exotics and stuff running around as well as nice deer.

I only hog hunted in May and it wasn't my favorite experience. It wasn't guided or anything, just workers from different departments getting together to hunt and eat- there were some jackwagons there (including my old boss) that took away from the hunt. I got a mouse infested trailer to sleep in and my buddy shared it with me. 'Tweren't the best accomodations. It was brutal hot and I shot a hog in the ear while I took a leak. I woke up from a little snooze, went out to pee, and noticed there were hogs under the feeder. Picked the biggest little one and shot it in the ear.

But the country was super cool and I didn't realize how much diversity TX actually has. One of my favorite restaurants is in TX. Called "Love and War in Texas." Had the coolest menu and atmosphere. Menu was broken down into each region of TX- BBQ, Hill Country Wild Game, Seafood from Gulf Coast, Tex Mex, etc. And peach cobbler with cinnamon ice cream. I didn't partake, but apparently Shiner Bock pig mugs are very good there.

Reactions: CPAjeff

· Registered
4,330 Posts
I think Utah has lost me as a hunter. I'm hoping to hit Texas/Oklahoma every other year, and Arizona Elk every three years on the Reservation. It's great having friends living there and the cost of the hunting is minimal. At least Texas. Arizona will cost $$$$.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts