Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm helping a buddy out. She drew a either sex elk tag on CO. She lives in California and is having a hard time finding any ammo in stores or online. Will be using a pre 64 model 70 her dad left her. It's her first hunt and just wants some meat to eat. I told her I'll help find some ammo. I suggested brands I've had good success with other calibers. But before I go out and start looking I thought I'd ask ya'll if you had any factory loads you like in the 270 win.

Oh and good quality hunting boots for the ladies?

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
Anything with a bonded/monolithic bullet that weighs 130 grains or more should do nicely.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
the 130 accubond should do the trick and have less thump on her shoulder than the heavier 150's. Nosler makes their own ammo and many other companies use their bullets, so you should have plenty to choose from.

·
Administrator
21,629 Posts
My brother and one of my best friends use .270s for elk; both 150 grain bullets. My brother uses Winchester Power Points and my friend uses the cheaper Federals. Both do OK.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My husband dropped a big cow elk at 660 yards with a Barnes 129 gr LRX bullet. Smashed through the bottom of the spine and kept on going.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts