Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what everybody's favorite decoys are. mine are GHG and then featherlights once everything ices up, the featherlights are a pain in the butt, but they are compact

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I have some Flambeau that I like ONLY because they're so stinkin big and light. The paint job had to be redone to fit my "standards". :lol: It honestly wasn't a big deal. I do have a bunch of Carrylight that I really like (they're what I started with) and some GHG Gadwalls that I really like now that I cut the keels and emptied the sand out. If I buy more, they'll probably be GHG and I'll just have to cut the keels.... I dont' think they make the dekes I want in a ready to hit the water, water keel unfortunately. :? I do love the realism though... and so far I haven't had any durability issues.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have some old school DEEKS. And some of the new ones. They are the BEST decoy if you have to carry them to the hard to reach areas.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
LETTER-RIP said:
I have some old school DEEKS. And some of the new ones. They are the BEST decoy if you have to carry them to the hard to reach areas.
Are those the foam A-frame ones or are DEEKS the inflatables?

·
Registered
421 Posts
They are the inflateable. You drop them on the water and they trap the air inside them. A really good tip to those who use them. Take a small piece of tubeing that is 2-3 ft long. When you put them on the water just slide the tube up the hole and blow them up. Makes the windy days a lot easier to set them up.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm with ya on the Deeks. I used them as a kid and still use them.. Just new ones.
The distances I ride the bike and then hike after that I need the lightest decoy in the smallest space I can get. If out in the boat or short distance hike the GHGs are great for realism.

I use two mag.decoys on the outside of my spread and it seems to attract the birds eyes right there so the deeks realism isnt a problem.

I will keep the rubber hose idea in mind.

spry

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Running a goose spread, I have to say bigfoots. They are by far the toughest decoy out there, In nine years I have yet to break one decoy and still use them to this day, and they still look exceptional never been painted, I litterally throw them out of my truck, across Ice, parking lots, gravel whatever and they are as good as new.

For ducks it would have to be my g and h. These decoys were given to me by my gramps and are over thirty years old and look about like my ghg's that are less than a year (paint anyways).

BUT.....for the price, you cant beat ghg duck decoys. They look great when new and are half of other quality decoys. My biggest complaint is the paint, which no matter what i do, rubs off. and the snap lock keel design that seems to want to come apart quite a bit, especcially on my teal decoys. They also have some great designs, headless feeders, sleepers that kind of thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts