Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are everyones favorite deer hunting tactics. Spot and Stalk? Tree Stand? Stake out a waterhole? Just hike your butt off?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Well, All four actually. Because to get to a treestand or waterhole that nobody else knows about or wants to go to you pretty much have to hike your butt off. But, I like spot and stalk also. You get to sit and relax for a while but when the hunts on, it's on. No wondering if you are going to have something wandering in on you.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Spot and stalk.... road hunting is lame and should be reserved for those not able to actually put out the effort to get on animals off the roads. (ie old folks, handicapped folks, or other "special" situations). They should give out citations for laziness.... the DWR would have more money than they would know what to do with. Tree stands.... Well, thats cool I guess if it suits you. I like to be active so like the other guy, hiking my butt off and finding the animals I'm going after is what appeals to me. There's nothing quite like sneaking through the woods as quietly as you can and having an animal doing its thing with no idea you're even there until you either stick it.... or a tree. :lol: The effort you expend will be rewarded accordingly. 8)

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Riverrat, I disagree. I think we should encourage MORE road hunters. IT means fewer deer killed, and fewer people to bump into back in the hills. *OOO* *()* <<--O/

PRO

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Hmmmm yes... that is a different way of looking at it... and its probably a pretty dang good point. Who needs I400... just hand out a few "roadhunter tags" in the units so that they HAVE to roadhunt and that way none of the trophies will be getting bothered. :lol:

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Riverrat77 said:
Hmmmm yes... that is a different way of looking at it... and its probably a pretty dang good point. Who needs I400... just hand out a few "roadhunter tags" in the units so that they HAVE to roadhunt and that way none of the trophies will be getting bothered. :lol:
Now you're thinking! Just think, you wouldn't even need CO's patrolling to enforce the rules of required roadhunting, so the DWR would save money as well, double bonus!! -/O\-

PRO

·
Registered
623 Posts
Great Ideas, instead of breaking the state into areas, break it into styles. I can see it now, I put in for a spot and stalk tag, but drew a road hunting tag, oh well, I guess I will finally have to break down and by a new spark plug for my four wheeler. What did you get, I got a tree stand tag, and I don't even own a tree stand. How bout you, I drew a track someone elses blood trail and steal their deer tag, I sure hope I get into and area that lots of poor shooters are hunting in. Ya, I drew a hike to the top of the mountain, look around for a bit and hike out the same trail I came in on tag. What about you, well I have been putting in for a pile up piles of corn and grain tag and sit over a feeder tag, and I have 13 points for that, so I hope I draw out next year, I think I will have max points for that. And the most coveted tag of all, I drew a mullet tag where tons of folks all over the state will locate a tremendous animal and triangulate it with helecopters, radios, 414 spotting scopes, and video cameras, I have been practicing the part where just before I shoot, they film me taking my saftey off tag.

I love all types of hunting, but my favorite is right after a snow storm, locate, watch them clear the ridge and get on their tracks and sneek on them.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
EPEK said:
Great Ideas, instead of breaking the state into areas, break it into styles. I can see it now, I put in for a spot and stalk tag, but drew a road hunting tag, oh well, I guess I will finally have to break down and by a new spark plug for my four wheeler. What did you get, I got a tree stand tag, and I don't even own a tree stand. How bout you, I drew a track someone elses blood trail and steal their deer tag, I sure hope I get into and area that lots of poor shooters are hunting in. Ya, I drew a hike to the top of the mountain, look around for a bit and hike out the same trail I came in on tag. What about you, well I have been putting in for a pile up piles of corn and grain tag and sit over a feeder tag, and I have 13 points for that, so I hope I draw out next year, I think I will have max points for that. And the most coveted tag of all, I drew a mullet tag where tons of folks all over the state will locate a tremendous animal and triangulate it with helecopters, radios, 414 spotting scopes, and video cameras, I have been practicing the part where just before I shoot, they film me taking my saftey off tag.

I love all types of hunting, but my favorite is right after a snow storm, locate, watch them clear the ridge and get on their tracks and sneek on them.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: *OOO*

PRO

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
fatbass said:
:rotfl: *(())* :rotfl:

Good stuff, RR77, Pro and EPEK. I'll be hiking my ass off around my favorite spots all day on the opener. The rest of the hunt will be lots of roadhunting due to gout and arthritis aggravated by the opening day death march. It sucks getting old.
I would say make sure you wear your mullet fatbass, but I'm sure you're already sportin one. Just be sure to take pictures.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Riverrat, I disagree. I think we should encourage MORE road hunters. IT means fewer deer killed, and fewer people to bump into back in the hills.
I dissagree. Where I hunt the road hunters kill more then anyone. They also seam to be shooting the bigger bucks.

·
Registered
812 Posts
fatbass said:
Treehugnhuntr said:
fatbass said:
:rotfl: *(())* :rotfl:

Good stuff, RR77, Pro and EPEK. I'll be hiking my ass off around my favorite spots all day on the opener. The rest of the hunt will be lots of roadhunting due to gout and arthritis aggravated by the opening day death march. It sucks getting old.
I would say make sure you wear your mullet fatbass, but I'm sure you're already sportin one. Just be sure to take pictures.
It'll have to be a fake mullet. All I can grow is a skullet since the top of my head is bald as TEX-O-BOB'S wif...oh, never mind. :mrgreen:
that is some funny stuff right there. TEX-O-BOB'S my hero now. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
812 Posts
OHHHH........ i forgot to say that i am in favor of the spot and stalk hike your but off hunt.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I personally would put in for the sit at home on your but state wide / govenors BS tag wich entitles you to tag anyone elses deer. it would be kind of like a white elephant tag.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah its me, they wouldn't let me just use CP it had to be 3 or more letters- I know its throwing everyone off! sorry... I chose CP1 because CP is me and 1, well there is only one of me, so it just fit!

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
weatherby25 said:
Riverrat, I disagree. I think we should encourage MORE road hunters. IT means fewer deer killed, and fewer people to bump into back in the hills.
I dissagree. Where I hunt the road hunters kill more then anyone. They also seam to be shooting the bigger bucks.
Before I read too much into this, I'm going to assume you're either joking and carry a big wooden spoon or you're hunting private ground in Texas where pretty much everything is shot on the road under a 100 gallon corn spreader..... Ok... surprise me, which is it?? :lol: Oh, alright, I suppose it could be in a limited entry rifle deer unit out in the desert as well..... or maybe a Yellowstone Park Bison hunt... that is legal isn't it?? :shock:

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Tree stands.... Well, thats cool I guess if it suits you. I like to be active so like the other guy, hiking my butt off and finding the animals I'm going after is what appeals to me.
I'm going to tell all you "hike my butt off" guys what my dear late grandpappy told me when I was about 17. Tex, he said, "you'll kill a LOT more deer and bigger ones if you wear out the seat of yer brithches before you wear out yer boots."

He was right. hiking yer butt of is just that, "hiking" and it's not smart hunting. There is a fine line between hunting hard and hunting smart. You gotta know when to hold em, and know when to fold em. :wink:

RR you must be a young guy. Running around all amped out and trying to cover as much land as possible before the other guy gets there and beats you to the buck. Right? Well, I admire your spirit and go-gettem atitude, but let me tell you a story.

Two bucks were standing on a hill. A big mature 30 inch four point, and a small young two point. The two point said "hey! Look at those hot does down in that meadow! Let's run down there and breed one! The older, wiser buck said "No son, well walk down there nice and slow and breed em all." 8)

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
30ish (in about twenty days, not that I'm counting)... is that still young? Could you tell my body that please?? :lol: No, I get what you're saying.... and I've seen the pictures to show it works. But I've also seen some really, really nice deer by getting to the spots big deer use and watching them go about their business before my hunting partners walked off on a stalk. I've never hunted deer before Tex...at least not for myself and I'm also afraid of heights (although I love flying...??) so a treestand is probably not my best option, unless deer are attracted to the sound of somebody's knees knocking together... who needs antlers to rattle em in right?? :lol:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Just to add to Tex, I love to hike, I do it quite often, but I have never really counted hiking hunting. Finding deer is part of it, but if you are moving, you have entered into there arena, if they are moving and you are 'concealed', they are comming into your arena. So............. I say, if you are sweating, you are not hunting. But, hunting to me is not a one day thing. This year for example, I spent from the second weekend of the hunt to Sept 22 each and every weekend at least two days and on occasion 4 days a week, in the same area, finding and getting interested in bucks, And more importantly getting educated on what they were up to. When I finally figured out what they were up to, I hiked a tree stand into an area, sat it one night, nothing, the next morning, nothing, a week later an evening, nothing, and finally the next morning, ding ding ding ding.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
EPEK said:
So............. I say, if you are sweating, you are not hunting. But, hunting to me is not a one day thing.
Sorry man, I totally respect the things you and Tex have to say but I don't get this at all. Yeah, I've heard the sayings get up high and then let your glass do the walking for you. I understand that but I've sweated a ton working my way up ridgelines, down and around bowls and have found animals by getting into some nasty stuff that average Joe is only going to look at wistfully from the seat of his ATV and think, well, I'll bet there's deer in there. I do agree that hunting is definitely not a one and done thing in most cases... it definitely takes a little dedication and I know you have it if you're spending all that time in a certain area finding your deer. What about still hunting?? Granted, thats a step or two, wait, look and then another slow step or two... and usually isn't associated with archery as much but that would have me sweating up a storm. I also sweat a bit on my hikes up into whereever I'm going.... its just a result of good, hard exertion I think.... not so much wasted time and energy. I'm a firm believer in working hard to get to where most folks aren't. Is that a bad way to think about things?? I've been told over and over again to get up early, be on the mountain glassing at first light or before, work hard to get into unreachable areas, etc, etc. Maybe its because I'm young and full of pis* and vinegar still or something but that seems to make sense to me. I agree that treestands can be effective for some guys and you and Tex obviously have that aspect of the game nailed down but I've also seen spot and stalk work exceptionally well and I'd say that takes an exceptional amount of patience, agility, and the ability to remain piano wire tense and aware of where you're at and whats going on with your surroundings.... No, its not hauling A busting oakbrush on a bench but its still hard work. I just don't get your comment I guess.... seems to me hunting is all about sweating and putting in the effort to get there and hopefully get out with a game animal. :|

1 - 20 of 25 Posts