Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, with the season just around the corner... What are your favorite rounds for elk? Favorite caliber?

And yes, I am gonna use this thread as advice to pick the rounds I put through my 30-06 for my elk this season :mrgreen:

·
Registered
52 Posts
+1 on Accubonds. You can always try the Barnes TTSX, or the HSM with Berger VLDs too. As far as weight, you can get a little extra velocity in the 165-168 grain range, but 180s will certainly be effective too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I reload my own 30.06 rounds and use a 165 nosler (with green tip) with 55.5 grains of imr 4831 pushing it. Shoots really flat, nice and far with loads of power, and has taken 2 nice bulls: 5pt at 200yds, and 6 pt at 385, both lung shot. Neither elk ran farther than 20 feet before piling up dead as can be. This load, needless to say, has been a VERY satisfying round for deer also. On the flip side, I personally watched my dad drop a cow elk at 375 with one shot to the lungs from a .243 so.....how good of shot are you? :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
21,311 Posts
My favorite elk rounds:
270 Win 150 gr Core-lokt
7mm Mag 160 gr Partition
30-06 150 gr Core-lokt
30-06 180 gr Partion
30-06 200 gr Rem round nose
300 Win Mag 180 gr Sierra Gameking
300 WSM 180 Power Point
300 WSM 180 gr Partition
338 Win Mag 225 gr Core-Lokt
44 Rem Mag 240 gr XTP
460 Smith & Wesson 275 gr Cor-Bon

To be added soon:
12 gauge with Remington copper solid sabot slug

Reactions: SkyRider

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I killed both of my elk last year with 150 grain Barnes TTSX, one at 236 yards and the other at about 15 yards, both were dead before hitting the ground. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. As mentioned before, there are threads discussing it and pointing out how each rifle is 'happier' with certain bullets while others are not, do some reading and DECIDE FOR YOURSELF. Then go to the range and put it on paper.

·
Administrator
21,311 Posts
That's what I use, but didn't I read on here that the ballistics on them was comparable to a "turd" and that only losers would use them? ;)
Yeah, the .270 150gr combo is a good one.

I'm having second thoughts about my list of favorites. I'm thinking of removing the 7mm Mag.

I've kinda quit that ballistic stuff and now concentrate on getting closer than 100 yards to the elk.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
That's what I use, but didn't I read on here that the ballistics on them was comparable to a "turd" and that only losers would use them? ;)
I've used those "turds" for the majority of my hunting life on Mule Deer...still work great! Last year I used a .270WIN 130gr. Accubond to take a young cow elk and it also worked splendidly.

This year I am working up a load for the 7mm RemMag that will use 160gr. Partitions over either H4831 or RL-22.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I reload my own 30.06 rounds and use a 165 nosler (with green tip) with 55.5 grains of imr 4831 pushing it. Shoots really flat, nice and far with loads of power, and has taken 2 nice bulls: 5pt at 200yds, and 6 pt at 385, both lung shot. Neither elk ran farther than 20 feet before piling up dead as can be. This load, needless to say, has been a VERY satisfying round for deer also. On the flip side, I personally watched my dad drop a cow elk at 375 with one shot to the lungs from a .243 so.....how good of shot are you? :mrgreen:
I'm from Montana. Lots of open space. I can't recall making a kill shot under 200 yards! I'd say I can take a decent shot when the occasion calls for it!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I'm from Montana. Lots of open space. I can't recall making a kill shot under 200 yards!
I guess my question is, if you have killed animals before with such claimed success, why are you asking which bullets to use if something has already been working?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess my question is, if you have killed animals before with such claimed success, why are you asking which bullets to use if something has already been working?
First time elk hunting. Just curious as to what bullets everyone is shooting. I was chasing deer and smaller in Montana. I'm trying to do this on my own so I want to be ready before I hit the field. No harm in asking, right?

EDIT: Also, I should add that this is a new 30-06 for me. I'm gathering suggestions for elk to put a few different bullets through and see which my gun and I agree with best.

·
Super Moderator
9,417 Posts
Is this thread about a favorite elk round or a favorite elk round out of a 06?

My favorite elk round is a .340 Weatherby shooting Barnes 225grain bullets at around 3300fps.

Now out of a 06 my tried and true recipe is a 165 grain Nosler partition at 2900fps.

But both of those are reloads and not available from the factory. For a factory round I don't think that you can beat a Federal 165grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw or the 165 grain Trophy Copper if you can even find any of them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

My favorite elk round is a .340 Weatherby shooting Barnes 225grain bullets at around 3300fps.

Now out of a 06 my tried and true recipe is a 165 grain Nosler partition at 2900fps.

But both of those are reloads and not available from the factory. For a factory round I don't think that you can beat a Federal 165grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw or the 165 grain Trophy Copper if you can even find any of them.
It's about your favorite round. I figured it'd be a decent discussion... seeing what everyone shoots. I can just pick out the answers related to the 06 for myself.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
First time elk hunting. Just curious as to what bullets everyone is shooting. I was chasing deer and smaller in Montana. I'm trying to do this on my own so I want to be ready before I hit the field. No harm in asking, right?

EDIT: Also, I should add that this is a new 30-06 for me. I'm gathering suggestions for elk to put a few different bullets through and see which my gun and I agree with best.
Gotcha, most of us have been there, try the Barnes in the 150 and 165 to see which works better out of your rifle. And please review some of the threads on the forum in the link I referenced earlier that discuss the exact question you posted.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts

225 grains at 3300fps...that should knock your fillings loose when you touch it off...ouch

Reactions: Huge29

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gotcha, most of us have been there, try the Barnes in the 150 and 165 to see which works better out of your rifle. And please review some of the threads on the forum in the link I referenced earlier that discuss the exact question you posted.
I've looked through those as well. Thanks for the link. I didn't see any harm in asking the question again. Opinions change, technology changes, and let's be honest... The majority of us are sitting at our desks right now wishing we were anywhere else but inside. Something's gotta kill the time.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Remington Core-Lokt factory loads after filming and seeing what this 7mm Mag 150 grain Core-Lokt did to a friends elk a few years ago, I'm totally sold :)

Here's the video. It shows the trail of the bullet in the air and through the horn a few times in slow motion about the 5:00min mark.

Maybe not exactly as planned on that shot, but it worked out and without the video no one would believe you could shoot one straight through the horn, kill the bull in one shot and find the slug mushroomed under the skin behind the far shoulder !!!

I've never seen a bullet do that before that's for sure :)

Cheers,
Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm a big fan of the Remington Core-Lokt factory loads after filming and seeing what this 7mm Mag 150 grain Core-Lokt did to a friends elk a few years ago, I'm totally sold :)

Here's the video. It shows the trail of the bullet in the air and through the horn a few times in slow motion about the 5:00min mark.

Maybe not exactly as planned on that shot, but it worked out and without the video no one would believe you could shoot one straight through the horn, kill the bull in one shot and find the slug mushroomed under the skin behind the far shoulder !!!

I've never seen a bullet do that before that's for sure :)

Cheers,
Pete
That video was awesome! I don't know if I've ever watched an elk drop that quickly. Not to mention, it's always fun to watch the vapor trail when a video catches it. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts