Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I like catfish.... pcb filled from Utah Lake usually. :D Next would probably be trout... especially if the meat is nice and pink. It makes great ordoerves (sp) when you cook in in tinfoil over a campfire and serve chunks of meat on a saltine with tartar sauce. Dang... now I'm drooling.

·
Registered
385 Posts
1. halibut
2. tie between grayling and small brook trout out of a cold clearwater stream.
3. salmon
4. rainbow out of red creek res.
5. beer battered catfish

i haven't ever tried walleye but hear they taste amazing also.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Species from Utah:

1. Bear Lake Cutthroat from Strawberry Reservoir (22 inches or more). When they're roasted just right in a butter bath (like any trout), the meat slides right off the bone and the spur bone between the rib and spine doesn't break off in the meat very easily. Add some Montreal Steak seasoning or some lemon pepper and you're set. Mmmm.

2. Cutthroat from Currant Creek taste fantastic and are beautiful to look at.

3. A big rainbow from Scofield or Strawberry tastes great. Tiger trout of 16 or more inches are also quite tasty and are always welcome table fare.

4. Brooks and browns are on the bottom of my trout list, but I still enjoy them. I'd just rather sink my teeth into a nice cutt or a bow. I prefer pink over orange.

I don't particularly like warm water species, but perch tastes fine and pike aren't bad either. Never tried catfish from utah, my one walleye experience was awful (but I'd let someone who knows the way cook for me, wink, wink), white bass suck, and I think I ate a smallie out of Deer Creek a long time ago that tasted pretty much like a perch.

Any fish in general:

Probably a tie between several types of saltwater fish. I really like Salmon, Fresh Tuna, and Halibut. Cooked anyway.

To truly taste a fish, it's best to try a raw slice of it (sashimi) and my favorites in that respect are Salmon, Tuna, and Eel.

Other fish I like are Orange Roughy, cod, shark, swordfish, and some others.

Mmm, fish. Yum. Octopus and Calamari aren't bad either, if they count.

Oh yeah...Canned sardines on a wheat thin while watching football. Good stuff there. :lol:

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Halibut cus there are no bones about it!!! They are the best done on the 'que in a tin foil bath tub with butter and lemons on top!!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Well if lobster were a fish, I'd be with you Orvis, that's my favorite food. :D

Fish wise, I'd say walleye then halibut, then bluegill. Can't stand trout or salmon so I don't even eat those anymore. If you like halibut, you will like walleye because there is little difference in taste. I actually like the eyes a bit better though.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
LOAH, someone must have really fudged over the walleye you ate if it turned out that bad. I agree with you on shark, I forgot to mention them.

G

·
1. Salmon grilled on a cedar plank and basted with limes and butter.

2. Brook trout caught from a clear alpine lake and fried over a campfire with lemon, butter and dill.

3. Halibut grilled with lemon and cajun spices.

4. Walleye or Perch fillets battered in flour and crushed corn flakes with cajun spices then fried golden brown. I agree with Nibble, Walleye/Perch is very similar to Halibut to my tastes.

5. Beer battered whitefish fried golden brown in oil and served with malt vinegar and tartar sauce.

I'm HUNGRY now.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I had some catfish (cajun style) that was best fish I've ever tasted . I can't think of any fish I don't like. I don't think I could eat a carp _/O .I would like to try shark someday I hear they taste like a surfboard :lol:

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Nibble Nuts said:
LOAH, someone must have really fudged over the walleye you ate if it turned out that bad. I agree with you on shark, I forgot to mention them.
You're right. I should've thrown it back because it wasn't that big, but it was hooked pretty badly. I can't fillet worth a ****, don't know the bone structure, and never eaten one prior to that. I gutted it and fried it in an oily frying pan hoping for the best.

The meat was pasty and full of bones in places that I didn't expect bones. Those bones were like glass, too. They broke right off inside the meat and I had a hell of a time trying to get a good bite without any.

If I were to catch a nice sized walleye and someone who knew what they were doing filleted it for me, I'm sure my experience would be different. I'm no stranger to beer batter and I know some pretty tasty egg wash tricks, too. I just can't fillet anything without ruining it, so I don't.

My experience with that walleye (just caught it 2 wks ago) was that it tasted like the white bass I caught next to the dump. _/O

Considering how much everybody seems to prize their flavor, I definitely need to try it again, filleted.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
OKEE said:
I had some catfish (cajun style) that was best fish I've ever tasted . I can't think of any fish I don't like. I don't think I could eat a carp _/O .I would like to try shark someday I hear they taste like a surfboard :lol:
THe shark I've eaten has been a firm white meat... blacktip I believe.... not positive though. I do remember being excited to eat "shark" and I remember it being really good.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
LOAH said:
You're right. I should've thrown it back because it wasn't that big, but it was hooked pretty badly. I can't fillet worth a ****, don't know the bone structure, and never eaten one prior to that. I gutted it and fried it in an oily frying pan hoping for the best.

The meat was pasty and full of bones in places that I didn't expect bones. Those bones were like glass, too. They broke right off inside the meat and I had a hell of a time trying to get a good bite without any.

If I were to catch a nice sized walleye and someone who knew what they were doing filleted it for me, I'm sure my experience would be different. I'm no stranger to beer batter and I know some pretty tasty egg wash tricks, too. I just can't fillet anything without ruining it, so I don't.

My experience with that walleye (just caught it 2 wks ago) was that it tasted like the white bass I caught next to the dump. _/O

Considering how much everybody seems to prize their flavor, I definitely need to try it again, filleted.
[/quote]

I've never tried to fillet the smaller walleye, but the bigger ones are easy to fillet and they are good eating. Some will say the bigger fish aren't good to eat, but the 8 and 10 lbers were good. My brother in law cooked them up in some kind of batter and fried em, he also made some killer tartar sauce. Best fish I've ever eaten. Nowaday though I will put walleye of that size back in the water to spawn again, but being that those were my first trophy sized game fish and I was alone when I caught them and without a camera, there was no way I was going to put them back.
If it was two weeks ago you caught that eye, did you catch it through the ice?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
rapalahunter said:
1) Ahi
2) Ono
3) o'paka'paka
4) Mahi mahi
5) Uku
I'm assuming you didn't catch these at Deer Creek. :D I've been trying like crazy, but I haven't been able to catch any o'paka'paka out there yet.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Nibble-

No, I didn't catch the eye through the ice. I was surprised to catch it on a dead worm (all I had...fresh and cold, but dead and limp) out of my lunch break creek.

I dropped the dead worm in thinking "Yeah, right", and then my line started moving funny. Sure enough, I had a fish. I thought it would be a big brown (normally what I catch there) or a carp, but it was a skinny 14 inch walleye. 3rd walleye for me...All from the same creek.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wahoo (ono)
Yellowfin tuna (ahi)
dorado (Mahi)
sockeye (reds)
halibut (Chickens)

All fresh caught, Once they have been frozen there is not much sense eating them.
Utah fish, I like walleye and perch.

Keep the wind at your back

1 - 20 of 34 Posts