Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With both of my brothers picking up new bows this year, I decided to jump in and give archery a try this year. I'll have a WY elk tag in my pocket this fall and already can't wait for September to get here... Curious to see what mechanical heads have worked best on elk in your experience?

Any brands to avoid?

Thanks!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Generally I think any US designed, name brand broad head will work fine. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

The key is placing the arrow in the right spot.

I shot Rage Hypodermics last year for a cow elk. The shot was not ideal, but it opened a gaping whole and she went less than 100 yards. You can see the bloody mess here. https://utahwildlife.net/forum/12-big-game/195461-no-hunt-complete-without-story.html

I chose the hypodermics because they truly flew like field points (for me anyway) and that was the most important factor for me at the time. If I were hunting bulls I might opt for a cut on contact fixed blade because I shoot better now, have more time to broad head tune and believe that a cut on contact fixed blade like the G5 Montec would give me deeper penetration all other things held equal.

That's all I got.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
My favorite mechanical is a distant memory. Those Epek heads were fantastic. I wish they were still being made.

I've since switched over to Grim Reaper heads.

·
Banned
777 Posts
My favorite broadhead is one that has a leading edge or a cut-on-contact tip without any moving or mechanical crap.
Maybe you didn't understand the question, he didn't ask you what your opinion on mechanicals vs fixed, sounds like he's already made the decision on that. He asked what the favorite mechanicals are from the guys who already use them. Stay focused and on topic.

Rage makes great heads. I've used many different kinds from them and have had great results from all of their heads. I'm currently using the hypodermics and they are awesome. Huge holes, fly great and very durable. I've never had their head fail and I've shot a moose, turkeys, Whitetail, muledeer, pronghorn and 7 elk with them. Just make sure you use a heavy enough arrow with them to ensure you have enough energy to open the blades on impact and get the penetration you need for them to work the way they should

·
Senior Goof
3,808 Posts
Maybe you didn't understand the question, he didn't ask you what your opinion on mechanicals vs fixed, sounds like he's already made the decision on that. He asked what the favorite mechanicals are from the guys who already use them. Stay focused and on topic.

Rage makes great heads. I've used many different kinds from them and have had great results from all of their heads. I'm currently using the hypodermics and they are awesome. Huge holes, fly great and very durable. I've never had their head fail and I've shot a moose, turkeys, Whitetail, muledeer, pronghorn and 7 elk with them. Just make sure you use a heavy enough arrow with them to ensure you have enough energy to open the blades on impact and get the penetration you need for them to work the way they should
The good thing about a forum, Shaun, is that longbow can respond however he wants. The OP said are there any brands to avoid - if you can interpret longbow's answer he simply meant "all of them". But you love stirring that pot for no reason.

As for Hypodermics - I had one fail on my best deer and since then have avoided them. I have had success before though, and seen lots of success with them though.

The rage xtreme chisel tip (2.3") have left bigger wounds than I have seen out of any other broadhead. Blood absolutely everywhere. I have heard good things about Trypan and may test them this year. You lose almost half inch in cutting diameter, but they are very strong and durable and have a back cut on the blades.

Kind of a newer brand, but you can also look into SEVR. I have seen great success stories with those, including Sean Morgan the giant slayer.

I sit happily in the fixed broadhead group mostly, but I think putting yourself into either box isn't healthy. Most important thing is to find one that flies good for you!

·
Administrator
4,043 Posts
I'd wager that longbow has much more real-world knowledge than most of the forum members combined - which should be viewed as an asset to forum members and questions.

It's like asking a financial adviser their thoughts on investing in something because you saw an add on the internet, and then getting upset when they tell you something that you don't want to hear.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I used spitfire's on a couple of elk and hogs several years ago and had good success. My son uses the Grim Reaper. I like the looks of that broadhead and if I were to go back to Mechanicals, I'd use that one. I have used Epic, but I did't care for them. Still have some lying around the shop.

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,341 Posts

10-4, Gotcha.

·
Administrator
21,865 Posts
I don't use mechanical broadheads but if I did I was use the one with the most CAPITAL letters, same as bullets.

Reactions: CPAjeff

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
My last 3 archery kills have been Swhacker's. All one shot kills.
Including my moose.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My last 3 archery kills have been Swhacker's. All one shot kills.
Including my moose.
My last three archery kills have been one shot one kills with Swhacker's as well. Extremely devastating with huge blood trails and haven't had to track far at all. Flies like a field tip for my set up.

I'm hunting Idaho this year so I'll have to look into fixed blades for this season.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Used to use NAP Spitfires based on a recommendation from a friend and sales rep in the archery industry and they worked fantastically well for me. I then tried some Rage chisel tips when I ran out of Spitfires and won't consider using anything else until I've gone through them all. I'll probably wind up picking up more of them actually. They look like you hit whatever you shoot with a hatchet. Great blood trails and penetration hasn't been an issue, even on elk.

·
Registered
59 Posts
As far as I am concerned mechanical broadheads should not be allowed for elk. They just have the potential to have too many issues with the ticker skin and much heavier bones than you see on deer. My recommendation: A two bladed, fixed point broadhead such as a Zwickey, Bear, or Magnus. Strong, cut on contact, no frills, proven!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.