Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a turkey choke for my Remington 870 12 gauge. What's your favorite turkey choke?

·
Administrator
10,504 Posts
I'd have to go with a full choke, but since both of my shotguns that I have killed turkeys with don't have any chokes for them other than full that has got to be my choice.

You can't beat a 10ga shooting old lead BB shot. Them birds are not going to get away.

·
Registered
558 Posts
You can't beat a 10ga shooting old lead BB shot. Them birds are not going to get away.
Everybody likes what they like, but there are lots of reasons why that load wouldn't be in the top 100 turkey loads out there.

That Carlson's .670 is a good choice for a turkey choke, if you are shooting typical turkey shells. But the choke choice is of secondary importance to your choice of ammo.

The biggest bang for your buck is going to be the ammo. Get something like Hevi-13 3" 2 oz #6s, or Hevi-13 Magnum Blend, or Winchester Longbeard #6s or #5. Then see how they pattern through the Carlsons and your factory full if you have one. See how far you get 100 in a 10" circle at and there you have your bonafide turkey killing range.

Reactions: gdog

·
Administrator
10,504 Posts
Everybody likes what they like, but there are lots of reasons why that load wouldn't be in the top 100 turkey loads out there.

That Carlson's .670 is a good choice for a turkey choke, if you are shooting typical turkey shells. But the choke choice is of secondary importance to your choice of ammo.

The biggest bang for your buck is going to be the ammo. Get something like Hevi-13 3" 2 oz #6s, or Hevi-13 Magnum Blend, or Winchester Longbeard #6s or #5. Then see how they pattern through the Carlsons and your factory full if you have one. See how far you get 100 in a 10" circle at and there you have your bonafide turkey killing range.
You have to use what you have. And with lead shot being banned for waterfowl those lead BB shot have to be used somewhere and I got tired of shooting clay pigeons with it.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I shoot a kicks gobblin thunder choke. I think the constriction is .665 or a .660 one of the 2, I cant remember i'd have to look but, I'v shot 2 toms with it and both were at 47 yards with 3" #5 shot and both were stone dead.
I shot lots of chokes and probably $400 worth of shells to get the right mach up for me and the kicks with some Rem nitro turkey in #5's has been the best for me so far

1 - 11 of 11 Posts