Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call for this tag yesterday. I've never hunted that area, nor had any other depredation tag. I have no idea what to expect. I was mostly just wondering if anyone else had the tag and wanted to maybe carpool from Utah County. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
If it's a true depredation tag, generally, a farmer has animals in his field or somewhere else that is accessible. You get there, he tells you where they are, you shoot one, load it in the truck and head home. Not really a hunt in the strictest terms, but very good for filling the freezer.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, I hope so. They said they gave out 40 tags plus some landowner permits. I have visions of a total zoo.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
I know one of the landowners on the west side of town and he said the elk come in heavy, but not til way after dark and gone way before daylight. lots of tags and lots of people out chasing them around.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the southwest corner of town. I have to pick up the tag in Price tomorrow so I don't have names yet. I'll head down and hunt tomorrow evening. I really appreciate the info.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's elk, by the way. I would love to fill my freezer. It's been a tough couple of years for me hunt-wise.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Well haven't heard anything but I'm sure if it's a depredation permit then it's probably going to be looking in fields for them. Good luck.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went down yesterday and picked up the tag and the maps. I drove all over yesterday evening trying to figure out access and property lines/boundaries. Lots of hunters at each field. I decided my best bet was to try and cut them off as they work back to the mountains. Got there well before shooting hours today and they were already moving out of the area. Looks like you guys were right on the money.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Just got back from this hunt and no it wasn't drive out in the field and shoot them at least not after the first morning. Elk are moving into the fields after dark and leaving at least an hour before legal light and with the pressure some not coming down at all. The elk trails are amazing and the best bet was to follow one up the draws, through the cliff bands and get up on the masa then hope you get lucky and find one before they hear you walking through the ice and crusty snow. Lots of steep pitches, loose or ice soil as well as that great slippery gooey mud. Sure hard on bad knees and I'm paying the price today.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah. I spent from well before sunrise to well after sunset on the plateau yesterday. I was there this morning as well but finally gave in to the cold and came home. Definitely a learning experience for my first depredation hunt.

·
Registered
604 Posts
What I learned was to ask how long the hunt has been going before they called me and if it's more than a day or so decline the tag. If I can't drop everything and get there right away decline as well.

I have to say the land owners I talked to were good people and the Grub Box makes a decent burger.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
True. I will definitely ask more questions next time.

Amen on the burger. I was less impressed with Fatty's up the road.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just a question for you all, did you harvest an elk during the season? I was fortunate to harvest an elk during the GS but would still love some more meat for my freezer. I was just wondering if UDWR doesn't call someone for the depredation hunts if you were successful during the season. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Billy, on the DWR's website you have to sign up for the depredation hunts. Then, they do a random drawing among those that signed up for the given species within the geographic area you said you could respond in.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did not harvest an elk this year. The gentleman who called me did confirm that I had only had a bull tag. The thing I didn't check on was whether this tag counts as my cow tag for this year. I assumed it would count for last year and I'd still be able to apply for one this year but I'm not positive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was lucky enough to receive a call from fish and game. Never hunted the area and spent Thursday hiking west of the Peterson property. OBTW what a nice man...gave me some insight on the elk habits. On Thursday only saw old sign but lots of it. Went back on Saturday and found a small herd 1.5 miles west of Peterson home. Located them in the cedars...once we moved in we could hear them talking with eachother. I managed to get a shot and take down a young cow. My friend Brian and I packed it out and saw a much larger herd on the way out. In the afternoon the mud was awful...boots must had weighed at least 5 pounds at times...plus we came real close to falling on our butts several time.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Heard it was crazy down there.... You just can't fix stupid, I know one landowner that will not let anyone on again.
I was there through Friday and I didn't see crazy, there were a few guys in a small area but the 20+ hunters I ran into all seemed respectful of others and tried to stay clear of others hunting areas or set ups. Only place worth hunting on was the Peterson place and he was a great guy sure hope no one made him mad. All the other landowners in the area but one gave the DWR permission for hunter to access their land, the one that didn't wanted people to call first but nobody could get ahold of the guy that I talked to. This hunt wasn't for the DWR it was for the landowners so it kind of behoves them to let hunters on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts