Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to hunting and I've never taken a big game animal and I was wondering how you take the head? I see YouTube videos where guys just take the top half of an elk skull so all they have are the antlers and the top piece of the skull. Does anybody know how you would go about doing that? I don't want to cape it I just want to do a European mount. Thanks

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Do you want a European mount or a plaque mount? If you really want a euro, you will need to keep at least the entire top half of the skull intact. Most folks in America use the whole skull for a euro. If you just want to make a plaque mount then you will just need to cut off enough of the skull to hold the antlers in place. If you do this, take more of the skull than you think you will need. Lots of people cut them to small and the skull plate ends up breaking. You can always trim more off later. ------SS

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh and one more thing haha. How do you deal with the brain and the eyes? Do you just pop the eyes out? How do you get the brain out of the skull?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
The brain comes out easy. The eyes can take a little effort. You can't really screw any of it up, just cut/pull/rip them out.----SS

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you just taking the skull plate then take a saw and cut 2-3 inches behind the antlers to the back of the eye socket. Then make a second cut in 3-4 inches in front of the antlers into the frond of the eye socket. then just pull the skull piece off and spray off with a pressure washer.

I do recommned caping the skull cap off before making the cut. It's much easier on your saw blade.

·
Registered
839 Posts
You can separate the skull from the neck with a knife, just going through a vertebrae gap. Some times I skin the head out right there, to save on weight (if im not taking the cape)

As far as cleaning the skull, just cut away till you can't get any more then either have someone boil/beetle it and bleach it. or you can diy. Here is a good link. http://www.huntaddicts.com/do-it-yourself-european-mount/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts