Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone competed in field trials? I have had my pup in training for the last few months with a trainer who competes in various competitions and has peaked my interest. I don't think my current dog is necessarily competition worthy, he has some personality issues that keep him from being competitive. He's a good dog, just not competition caliber. I am heading out to see one of the competitions this weekend and am pretty excited. I spent some time reading up on a few of the dogs that will be competing last night and am interested to see them in person.

Does anyone on here compete with there dogs?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have ran in a trial or two... So what is it with your dog not being competitive? And who is training your dog?
You talking Pointing dog or Retriever water stuff?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dog is a Vizsla/lab mix so pointing, he is just beginning training. He shows some drive and interest in birds, but is also shy at times and hasn't shown a ton of point. Full disclosure we didn't buy this dog with the intention of having him be a dedicated hunter.

It has definitely started to wet my feet on the possibilities of looking into buying a reputable pup with that in mind.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Hatt's Ranch in Green River did a lot of this sort of cross back some time ago. I trained a few of the dogs that folks got from there. All seemed to be OK dogs for bird hunting. But I also noted that each of them had a stronger desire to flush than point.

IMO the V's are a bit more timid type dogs and don't do well with a course type trainer. Pointing should be natural and not something to train a dog. Staying on point is a little diff story.

If you're looking at competing, have a mix dog is not really the place to go. Not sure what trial groups would allow it. But that does not mean it would not be possible to be a great hunting dog....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts