Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.. i was planning on doing an archery not rifle on the wasatch but i spotted 3 does and 2 bucks about 400 yards away. watched the two bucks fight for a minute. then hiked back to my truck and grabbed my rifle. (they were in a wide open spot and their was no way i was getting close enough for a good shot before dark with a bow) anyways. started RUNNING back up the hill since it was getting close to shooting hours and got about 150 yards away. they were watching me the whole way and didn't even care. loaded 4 shells. Got him in the scope and i was moving a lot from the hike/run. waited till i calmed down and squeezed the trigger at about 150 yards up hill. BAM! heard it hit him and he dropped in his tracks. Rolled about 15 or 20 Yards down hill. Got up to him and he was a pretty nice 2x2. 14 high and 12 1/2 wide. one of his tips was a little broken. is ears were 10 inches... not sure if thats normal but either way thats some big ears. looked at the shot place and i guess i jerked a little when i pulled it. hit him a little back and high :roll: went up and hit his spine.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Congrats!!! I would probably have gutted him before I brought him home though.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
coyoteslayer said:
Congrats!!! I would probably have gutted him before I brought him home though.
I noticed that also, so what did your dad say about you not gutting the deer before bringing it home? Also did you gut it at home or did you take it back into the mountains.
It is a nice big two point.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Might want to clarify what you meant by "wasatch". Also why is there no tag on that deer?? You might want to start thinking of some of these things before the Warden makes a surprise appearance at your place.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He was up farmington. When I called my dad he asked me if could get him to the truck easy enough with out gutting him becuase he was on his way home from vegas and i needed help. so we just skinned it when we got home. The tag ripped off when we brought him off the truck... its back on him.. i forgot to put it on before the picture and to say that in my original post. And before some one brings up orange i already took it off. Ill get a picture up with the tag on it when i get home from work

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Nice job dude.... huge antlers aren't everything and the antlers that buck has make his ears look ginormous!!! :lol: At least you got a bunch of tasty venison in the freeze.... thats the best part!! Thats cool that your winding up successful so young... wish I'd started this years ago!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! sorry about the confusion on the first post. Ill be sure to be more clear from now on. This is my second deer so far. the other one was also a 2 point that was just a little smaller than this also with a rifle my first year hunting. I am wondering.. what kind of shooting sticks would you guys recommend? I want to get some for next year.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
i wouldn't worry to much about the shooting sticks. In all the time that I have been hunting I always seem to find a nice rest close by when the shooting starts. Hey do not let some of these guys worry you too much. it is not a law to have tag on the animal in a picture.

You did all right except next time learn how to at least gut the animal first. those guts sure to put a lot of extra weight on them deer to be moving around all the time. pretty funny of you not gutting it..before bringing it home.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was not to sure of my self doing it by my self.. My dad was just about home from vegas when i shot him and my brother was not around. And i couldnt get a hold of my friends to help.. it was almost all down hill so it was not to bad. by the time i got a hold of a friend i had him half way down and it was dark. So we just finished taking it down. was not to bad. now if it was a 4 point with a bigger body.. NO way i was going to drag it with out gutting it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts