Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought two dozen of these decoys at the beginning of the season..

If you want a nice set of Mallard decoys and want to turn them into oversized magnum Coot decoys by the middle of the season then I would recommend buying a set of these overpriced pieces of cheap plastic.. Paint comes off easily, great if your wife or girlfriend is into the crafty toll paint stuff. They will surely give her something to do and keep her busy all year. I would also recommend a hot glue gun or a large tube of RTV Silicone. You'll need it to fill the cracks and splits when this fragile outstanding decoy splits because it got to cold outside. The plug on the bottom where they fill it in from the molding process likes to pop out and the decoy will bobble around and turn into a duck butt decoy.. An upside down one, because the head is the only thing that will be above the water..

They are total garbage. I've pampered these things all season, slot bags and all. Are there any FA reps on this site cuz I want to send my oversized Coot decoys back..

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
That sucks man. Two years ago I bought some Flambue wingeons decoys from Wal Mart, they lasted about 6 hunts then the paint flaked off, I went out and bought me some Greenhead Gear (Avery) decoys; they have held up very well thru 2 seasons. I only buy the GHG brand now, IMO they are the best out there.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Hilarious.... thats pretty bad man. Can't believe they crapped out on you like that. I thought FA was pretty good quality stuff but I guess some of it is pretty cheap. :?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also thought the FA brand would be a good quality decoy, I really liked the looks of them and I wanted something different from the normal decoy that's in everyones bag(the GHG).. I do have a couple dozen flambeaus and a dozen herters milleniums that I really like, their just too heavy for the trecks to the pot holes after the freeze. The flambeaus dont seem to want to rite themselves after you toss them into the drink and they dont ride very well on the choppy water on windy days, I was hopeful the FA's would be the magic ticket but it is what it is.. I Agree the GHG would have probably been the best route and I may still go that way. Just wanted something a little different.
I'll contact FA and see what they have to say about em, I would hope they would replace the junk ones and make things right. I know decoys wear out but these have only been used for two months and my green heads look like giant Coots :?

Then again, I know the old timers used to turn up mud on the ice and still kill ducks..Painted Milk cartons and few other old tricks.. Maybe beauty is in the eye of the beholder and my giant Coots will bring me luck :lol:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Duurty1 said:
Mojo1 said:
Two years ago I bought some Flambue wingeons decoys from Wal Mart, they lasted about 6 hunts then the paint flaked off.
i have a dozen Flambue teal and they have held up rather well
I have a dozen teal too, they have held up good, but all the Flambue wigeons I had were junk. My Flambue teal have not held up as good as my GHG teals paint has held up.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Nasher said:
Maybe beauty is in the eye of the beholder and my giant Coots will bring me luck :lol:
Black attracts ducks... people use black silos all the time... so you may not be as bad off as you think. Put them on the outside to get attention of passing ducks and put your really good colored ones among them to finish the birds when they get close enough. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts