Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it was quite a long wait (almost 11 months), but my rifle was finally delivered yesterday. Hopefully I'll be able to get out and fire form some brass this coming weekend. Our current Renal block is proving to be pretty dense material, so this will have to wait until after the Friday exam.

Specs on the rifle:
- Trued Rem 700 Action
- 1:8 twist Bartlien Light Palma barrel finished at 26"with 6 straight flutes
- 2 Port mini-brake
- Greybull precision stock
- Jewel Trigger
- PTG bottom metal

All work done by Lane Precision Rifles out of Pocatello, ID

The rifle turned out to balance very well. I was worried about weight, so I steered clear of the Sendero profile. The light palma worked out really well (especially with the fluting). I don't have an exact weight yet, but it definitely feels much lighter than my Sendero 7RM.

If all works out, I'll try to take a Virginia whitetail with it around Thanksgiving. I'm still waiting on scope rings and a rail to arrive, but I'll mount my Vortex HS 2.5-10 x44 within the week. Should be plenty of power here in VA (and it's one I have on hand at the moment). Once I get back out West in a couple years, I'll replace it with something with a little more magnification to take advantage of it's full potential.

I'm planning on running the 140 Amax over Retumbo, RL-22, or IMR 7828SSC (It's what I have on hand). I also have some 140 Accubonds to test out as well. Like I mentioned in my original post a year back, I'm expecting to see around 3200 FPS with a 140 grain pill. Should be fun! I plan on updating the thread when I see how it performs on the range.

Anyways, here are a few pics of the rifle:
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Brass is easily made from 270 Win or 280 Rem brass. 6.5 Sherman on the L, 280 Rem on the R:

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
>Remington 700 actions - One of my favorites.
>Bartlien barrels - Some of my best shooting barrels.
>Flutes - I love the way they look.
>Two-port mini brake - Don't own one. I like it. Look at that part line (What part line?):O||:
>Greybull stock - I've fondled a few. I like 'em.
>Jewel trigger - One of the best.
>PTG bottom metal. Pacific Tool & Gauge makes awesome hardware.
>Harris S bipod - Love them!
>Vortex HS scope - Love mine.

Wait a second....there isn't one **** thing I don't love about that rifle. That gun ROCKS!!! I bet it's a boring rifle to shoot. One...bullet...on...top...of...another...all...day...long. Be sure to keep us updated on your load development.
Congrats on a fine build. Chuck.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks gents! I appreciate the positive feedback - to say I'm excited to get in the driver's seat is an understatement haha. I'll be sure to post range results when I get the chance!

I forgot to add - Dallas came up with a new way to put his logo on his builds... I think it's a great finishing touch. Mine wasn't ready at the time of shipping, but it he just finished it up. Will be swapping it out soon!

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Administrator
7,960 Posts
Im not familiar with LPR - care to elaborate on the builder?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nice setup. I like how Longbow thinks and agree.
I think a 140 going 3200 is awesome in any 6.5 and competing with the hottest 6.5's on the market.
I don't know case capacity but I would think Retumbo, H1000, RL33 would be great powders.
I use Retumbo in my 264 winmag and really like it.
Congrats

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice setup. I like how Longbow thinks and agree.
I think a 140 going 3200 is awesome in any 6.5 and competing with the hottest 6.5's on the market.
I don't know case capacity but I would think Retumbo, H1000, RL33 would be great powders.
I use Retumbo in my 264 winmag and really like it.
Congrats
Thanks Bob!
I can't recall the case capacity of the top of my head, but you're right - Retumbo, H1000 and others should be perfect for this round. I've got 2 lbs of Retumbo, some RL-22, and have heard RL-26 is pretty snazzy as well.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well my 6.5 Sherman got a bit of a facelift recently - Dallas did an excellent job cerakoting the barrel and action. I think it turned out awesome. The close up photos make it seem a little lighter than what it really is. The semester was pretty busy, so I still have not had the chance to take it out to the range - I was back and forth on different scopes, but finally came across a great deal on a Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50 that I couldn't pass up. Next step is a set of Talley rings and I'll be set. I'll hopefully have some progress to show after the New Year.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I'm certain you're going to be too busy for the next few months, just ship it over to me and I'll break it in very carefully for you. :grin:

Reactions: waspocrew

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks fellas! I may need to have someone else shoot it for me for a while haha - luckily January should be somewhat less busy, so I'll definitely get behind the trigger and see how she does.

I plan on forming brass with 52 grains of IMR 7828 with a cheap 140 grain soft point (picked up a box of 100 from a guy for $5). Once I get formed cases, I'll either try out Retumbo or RL-22 with the 140 Amax. Should be a good combo - I just wish there were some longer ranges out in the Richmond, Virginia area. The one nearest me is only 100 yards.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts