Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i got a late season cow hunt that starts next week, its my first time doing the late season. Alot of people are telling me to stay low, and work the junipers. I ran into this brute up in the higher elevations in the deep snow. Wouldn't you think that if this bulls up high still, that there would be some cows too? Any opinion is appreciated. If you have any ideas or advice, im all ears. PM me if you want.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
it would really depend on the depth of the snow. the picture you have doesn't really show a sufficient snow depth.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I shot my cow on the 2nd and they were still up high, not at the very top mind you but around 8K feet. Where my cow fell there was about 2 feet of snow on the ground, not enough to push them down low in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
cause down in Monroe, they are hanging in the fields just outside of town, poverty flats, etc. as low as you can go...

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Just guessing but it sounds to me like current creek based off reading the posts plus I think thats the only area that has a cow elk hunt thats so short with it starting this late in the winter.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just guessing but it sounds to me like current creek based off reading the posts plus I think thats the only area that has a cow elk hunt thats so short with it starting this late in the winter.
And Nine Mile/West Anthro-Avintaquin ... starts next Saturday :grin:
But there are as well several January hunts in Manti, which is what Hunter2015 seems to be talking about ...

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Just think you get a twofer with that tag. The fetus should be big enough to eat ha ha.

If you havent found the elk already wait for the snow storm and look for tracks. Heck you can spot elk tracks going 40 mph on sled or wheeler. You can also spot tracks Mikes away with a spotting scope.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Pretty crazy there are 250 more cow permits opening on this unit Saturday!

I'm not sure there's even 250 cows left on public ground in this unit.

Glad to hear all these antlerless permits are being removed from the Wasatch for a few years.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Pretty crazy there are 250 more cow permits opening on this unit Saturday!

I'm not sure there's even 250 cows left on public ground in this unit.

Glad to hear all these antlerless permits are being removed from the Wasatch for a few years.
Until that is in writing in the proclamation I will believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I was hunting last weekend up Parley's and the elk up there could care less about 2 feet of snow. I think you have to have 3 feet or more to really move them down. They are "lower" now but I wouldn't say by a whole lot.

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
Took the family up to CC today ice fishing. Followed a truck that was cutting the trail in the fresh snow, they looked like they were cow hunting so we stayed behind, letting them get first crack at things. About 1 mile before the dam was 2 bulls and a cow w/ calf just off the road. The driver and his 16 year old kid bail out with guns. Approx 20 shots later, the calf and cow were down and somewhat dying (seriously, they both reloaded 3 times...!!!). I counted at least 3 hits on the calf, and at least 6 on the cow. Congratulated them both and we went on our way. On the trip back that evening I saw 2 gut piles so they recovered both. Another mile down the road was another spot of blood where someone else loaded an elk.

So yea, they can certainly be found if you are lucky.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Took the family up to CC today ice fishing. Followed a truck that was cutting the trail in the fresh snow, they looked like they were cow hunting so we stayed behind, letting them get first crack at things. About 1 mile before the dam was 2 bulls and a cow w/ calf just off the road. The driver and his 16 year old kid bail out with guns. Approx 20 shots later, the calf and cow were down and somewhat dying (seriously, they both reloaded 3 times...!!!). I counted at least 3 hits on the calf, and at least 6 on the cow. Congratulated them both and we went on our way. On the trip back that evening I saw 2 gut piles so they recovered both. Another mile down the road was another spot of blood where someone else loaded an elk.

So yea, they can certainly be found if you are lucky.

-DallanC
Hey Dallan I went up and came across the same hunters the gut pile was bad big time gut shot. How far off the road were the elk . Congrats to the hunters. The sad part is that there were only the two cows that area is hurting. 3 years ago there would have been a herd of 20 cows in that same area.

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
Hey Dallan I went up and came across the same hunters the gut pile was bad big time gut shot. How far off the road were the elk . Congrats to the hunters. The sad part is that there were only the two cows that area is hurting. 3 years ago there would have been a herd of 20 cows in that same area.
Gutshot sounds about right. Yuck. The cow/calf were about 200-225 yards away up on that north east ridge. The calf went down right there, after a couple hits, the cow crashed down through the oak moving further up into that canyon, it finally laid down maybe 350 yards in.

Did you go up to the dam? I saw two trucks with fisherman (dark one and a white one). Talked to the guys in the dark one, nice fellows. Saw tracks where someone tried to break trail up past the dam but they didn't get far.

Not sure if it was the same spot down the road but there was a guy loading up a coyote
The lower spot had ALOT of blood, doubtful it came out of a coyote but maybe?

-DallanC

1 - 20 of 31 Posts