Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
18,882 Posts
Congratulations on drawing the tag! 0 for 3 WY antelope tags for me this year.

I've hunted,, fished and worked in Area 95 for over 40 years. It is managed as an antelope trophy area and the odds for drawing a buck tag odds not as good as other areas here in the southwest Wyoming part of Utah. 95 is a very large unit, some of which has good-size tracts of roadless. There are always some great area 95 bucks on private land.

Area 95 antelope numbers are relatively low and the G & F is trying to rebuild the herd.

Harvesting a 14" to 14.5" buck close to the road is pretty easy.
Sky Plant Hunting Military camouflage Cargo pants

Plant Dog breed Cargo pants Fawn Grass

Small handgun buck from 95.

It goes without saying scouting is important, and, if possible, I wouldn't waste my gas scouting until a few days before the rifle opener.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks, Goob, those are some good looking goats. I am super excited for the hunt. I have driven through 95 countless times headed to the Gorge or Uintas and have always dreamed of hunting antelope in it. So I am really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I'll add weight to the "get it skinned and in the cooler with an hour or so" comments. If you do that, the meat will be better than elk. We've probably killed around 20 goats in our family, and my wife prefers it over everything except bighorn sheep. I agree with her too. You'd better keep some of those roasts this time!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
+2 (or 3) to the gut and skin asap if not sooner.....for the speed goats. The ones we did that way were great. The ONE we didn't.......was terrible.
Taught us a lesson for sure.

My brother in law shot one on Wyoming one year. Had his little kids with him. He gutted it threw it in the back of the truck and drove home to Salt Lake.
Hung it and skinned it at home.
Cut, wrapped it, and put it in the freezer. A week or so later .... Got a package from the freezer, and cooked it.
Took one or two bites........went down to the freezer and threw the whole thing in the garbage can.

·
Registered
11,392 Posts
250 yards on average. Its usually windy / gusty and I do not like longer shots in wind.

My wife crawled in and shot one at 40 yards... literally crawled on hands and knees through the ants and prickly pears to see how close she could get. I posted a picture of it here somewhere. It was pretty cool watching it through the spotter 700 yards away.

PS: Found it:

-DallanC

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi Guys,

I’m going to somewhat Hi-Jack this Thread.

I have two boys that have also drawn unit 95 for antelope this year. I’m planning our first scouting trip in the middle of July. This will be our first time on the unit so it is all going to be new to us. I’m going to get a hotel room for the weekend in either Green River or Rocks Springs. I’d prefer Green River just because it is closer, but the Hotels in Rock Springs look better and there seem to be more amenities in Rock Springs. Any suggestions? Just looking for a clean, cheap place to stay for the weekend.

Also, while we are in town, any recommendations on places to get a bit to eat? I’d prefer to try some of the local restaurants, then a national chain restaurant.

When I get back in town I’ll be sure to post an update on the trip with pictures.

Thanks in advance.

400bull

·
Registered
289 Posts
So my boy and I manage to find some time this past weekend to get out and drive through the unit. Our main goal was to just get familiar with the unit and to get an idea of what to expect. On Saturday we spent a lot of time in the southeast corner of the unit. We did not run into large numbers of antelope but we find a couple of bucks that got my boy excited. Here are a couple of pictures of the better bucks we saw. They're not great photos but you'll kind of get a feel for what we were seeing.

Daytime Window Wood Grey Grass
Sky Slope Plant Terrain Mountain

On Sunday we drove through the North-west corner. This area has a lot of oil rigs. You'll want to make sure you have a good map if you plan on hunting this area to know if you are on BLM or private. In the NW corner, we saw a lot of antelope. I'd guess we'd see close to 200 head by 10 in the morning. After 10 AM we did not see much more. I'm not sure if that was because they were not in the area or if they had bedded down making it much harder to pick them out. Most of the antelope we saw in this section of the unit were does and fawns. We did see a couple of bucks but nothing that got us excited.

400bull

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Hard to tell because it is straight-on, but you should be able to find that first buck all day long in the unit, so if size matters at all, I'd hold off on that type of buck. The second one looks better, but hard to tell from the photo. One thing for sure - you're going to have a great hunt!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
MW,

I know that these are not the quality of antelope that can be harvested on this unit. If it were my tag, I'd hold off and wait for a bigger buck to present itself. These tags are for you boys. One just graduated from high school and the other graduated from college this year. This is my gift to them for their accumplishments. I won't let them shoot a yearling, but other than that there really is no size requirement. This hunt is more to have a good time, celebrate and to see some new country.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Hey Guys,
Just following up here. We had a fun hunt. Like everyone said, lots and lots of animals to look over. We spent most of the day Saturday getting a feel for the area and looking over a lot of goats. Sunday morning my bro in law tagged his and that night after passing this one up in the afternoon, I decided to drop the hammer. He isn't the biggest, I am sure but I am pretty confident he was the biggest we saw after looking over 40 or so bucks. Set up at 300 yards and made quick work of him. It was one of the more fun hunts I have ever done and got to spend quality time with my dad, bro-in-law, nephews. I wouldn't trade it.
Deer Fawn Antelope Terrestrial animal Horn
Sky Hunting Fawn People in nature Grass
Sky Smile Plant community People in nature Happy

21 - 40 of 51 Posts