Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I was going to post an insightful response explaining how the search function of the forum will bring up revelant threads regarding the same question, but I'm sure you already searched and read before asking....

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I'm hunting northern utah and have no idea what I am doing or where to go. Any help would be appreciated thanks
This is probably most direct and honest inquiry I've seen in a while! BRAVO!

Usually it is "I've been hunting for 100 years but don't know where the animals went...." your honesty is refreshing. If you provide some more info (Area, Spike, Cow, etc) I'll try to help if I can.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Lotsa hiking...obviously if someone helps you to locate the general area the elk are in you might do less hiking, but still will do plenty.
I spent my entire saturday hiking in search of sign...I found a good amount of really old moldy poop and I found one elk poop that was probably from a bull or spike and it was atleast a half week or week old.

Next weekend i will be hiking on the opposite side of the area i was at since i heard some sounds that sounded like cow calls around there.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
As a side note some of the things I've learned:

It's hot this time of year so your best chances are at dusk and dawn.
It's hot this time of year so your best chances are on North facing slopes or in the dark pines.
Hunting pressure will largely dictate elk movement so look at your area from above (google earth, etc.) and see where hunters are likely to access the area from and where the elk might be able to go to get away from them.

That's where I'd start my search.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
I was going to post an insightful response explaining how the search function of the forum will bring up revelant threads regarding the same question, but I'm sure you already searched and read before asking....
Maybe his question would be more acceptable without using the search function first if he had posted it as a "hypothetical"?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
SD89 - so far you haven't told us what area you are hunting. "Northern Utah" is a big place, and other than the insightful posts by Kinekilla and AF Cyn, it's hard to get more specific than that if we don't know the area you're in. No one is going to give up their spots because that takes time and effort to figure out, but we could point you in the right direction. Within 2-3 years you will then have your "spots" and can help others.

·
Registered
88 Posts
+1 to MWScott72

I agree that you really need to just get on the ground and find your "spots". Last year I found my "spot" for deer on the last weekend of the hunt, unfortunately this year I drew out a different area; so hopefully next year I'll be back to that area. But it was really rewarding to put in the work and now know I've got a place I can go that will generate deer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts