Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I left my lovely wife asked me to try and spend as little $ as possible on the trip. I felt pretty bad because her and the baby were supposed to come but I decided they better no the night before I left due to the severe storm warning and the fact that we left at 11:00am instead of 2:00pm and my wife had to teach a lesson in church.

The storm never showed up. Our drive up to FG was quick and beautiful.

We were at the hotel in Dutch John by 3:30pm and dropped off a bit of gear. With the freezing weather Trout Creek Outfitters was empty and we had the place to ourselves.

Inside the hotel was pretty nice and we looked forward to a warm night's sleep.

We were out burning the last hours of daylight and decided to drive around. We knew the herd had been hit had and would be hard to find but we have a lot of experience in the area and decided to try a spot we had seen elk hidding out in during the deer hunt. We split up and both hiked a quick mile. On the way back to the trooper I got a call (phone on vibrate of coarse) My buddy told me to get my butt back to the truck.

He was there glassing and sure enough he had found a few elk in the cedars about a mile away. They were down wind from us and up high. We split up agin and I took the steeper direct route and got into heavy fresh sign after a 15 minute stalk. I was climbing up rocks and trying not to make to much noise. When I got up high the vantage point I was hoping to gain did not pan out so I dove right in. I again got on real fresh sign and decided to follow the tracks from above. As I came over an old burnt ridge something felt very right. I peared over and sure enough 8 to 10 elk were there feeding. I tried to judge the distance and quickly realized that the shot would be well within 200 yards and I could hold right on target. Trying to find a shooting lane without getting caught was a little bit of a challenge but I eventually positioned myself in a spot that gave me a 4 foot window.

The first elk to walk out was a calf and I decided to pass. Next a deer showed herself and I am glad I realized she was cause I almost took the shot. Finally a cow stepped into the lane and I relaxed and let the gun suprise me as it went of. She limped a little and then stepped behind some brush 5 yards away. Several other cows and calfs ran to her and I had to pull out my binos to make sure I did not shoot the wrong cow the 2nd time. I was pretty sure which one she was and as she tried to walk her limp was very noticable and I could see an entrance wound.

I squeezed off another round and the herd took off down the drainage. She tried to follow but took a single step and collapsed like a ton of bricks. Snow and dirt flew everywhere. I gave her a few minutes and then called my budy as I walked up to her. When I found her she was dead where she had gone down.

I shot at 5:00pm and we gutted her and halfed her. We drug the bottom half out down the drainage and found the road about a mile and a half away. We then hiked another mile or so along the road and got to the Trooper. We took a sled up with us the second time and pulled the front half out.

By 10:00pm we were driving back to the hotel and we were hoping to fill tag #2 in the morning.

Of coarse Monday we drove and hiked everywhere. Not a single elk anywhere. We did see lots of deer and a few bucks but no elk. We decided to leave a day early and started our drive home at 4:30pm

Almost killed a doe on the way off the mountain

Everything went great until I was heading out Daniels canyon and a herd of deer tried to cross in front of me. I was able to avoid the first but #2 did a number on my Trooper. She has hit and launched across the road and my buddy who came through 20 minutes later assured me she was dead (I already knew).

My cost effective elk hunt was almost perfet until I had to pay my $500 deductible but other that that a pretty good hunt.

My pics won't post on this site but here is the same post with the pics

http://utahbirddogs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1119

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Nice job. Were you up there on Saturday? My buddies were up there too, in a black F250. You probably ran into them. They knocked a couple down as well.

Again, congratulations.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Good job... sounds like a great time with a bit of solitude. I bet that first one is sure nice to get out of the way... 8) I'm sure she'll eat just fine when you get the steaks to the table. Lucky you!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
sounds like you had a good time.
My dad and I had the December tag and had a blast out there. Saw some really nice bucks all the bulls we saw were busted up pretty bad. seen some rockies (small rams). and about 150+ cow elk. Good time. ... Good job. sad to hear about the deer.

Elk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts