Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I decided to try something new this year...sold the compound and picked up a 45# Ben Pearson recurve. I watched this buck with binos and a trail cam for 2 weeks before the season on a piece of private ground a couple miles from home, and set up a Double Bull blind 10 yards from one of the main trails into a field.
Saturday and Sunday mornings I saw him along with a couple dozen other deer...he just chose different trails. Sunday evening I set up in the blind with my 7-year-old daughter.
About 20 mins before dark, this guy made the mistake of coming out to join the does in the field in front of me. 12 yards, clean double-lung pass through with a Rocket Steelhead 125. My daughter and I watched him run 75 yds into the field and tip over. My wife brought the rest of the kids over to help with the "tracking" job.
Thankful for a special evening...definitely one of my best hunting memories to date!

Attachments

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
You take up hunting with a recurve, scout a buck and kill him, take your kids with you and smack a **** nice buck. I'd say there were more than one success last Sunday! Congrats!

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Recurve's are awesome. In my opinion it's another level of skill over and above a compound bow. Back in college I knew a neighbor who was a beast of a man. 6' 10" near 300# of solid muscle. He hunted with a 90# recurve. Heck I tried to pull it back once and barely budged it. I used to watch him practice with it and am still in awe over what he could do. Recurve's rock.

Great story and awesome that you were able to share the experience with the family too.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Great Job!!! Killing with traditional archery gear is a great accomplishment! I was pretty obsessed with traditional archery for about a decade--many great memories and always a sense of accomplishment when you take an animal. You really have to put the time in to become proficient--several hours a week of quality practice. Also great to have your family involved and a fine buck! :grin:

·
Registered
60 Posts
my first bow was a ben pearson cougar 7050 model. I loved that bow, and I hunted with it for the first 8 years of my hunting adventures, It made me a much better hunter!
Great Buck! and to be able to share it with your family is something all of you will remember forever.
CONGRATS

·
Administrator
21,355 Posts
The best!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Great story, congrats. Nothing like spending those moments with your family. To me that's what it is all about.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts