Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Pretty cool!

Like Dallan said probably not best way to have to start a fire. But you definitely deserve a few extra man points for doing it.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
All I have ever got trying to do that is blisters. I carry 3 lighters now.

Reactions: phorisc

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty cool!

Like Dallan said probably not best way to have to start a fire. But you definitely deserve a few extra man points for doing it.
yup, its a good know how for the situation that you dont have any other means of starting fire, but in most instances going prepared will include a firesteel ;)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All I have ever got trying to do that is blisters. I carry 3 lighters now.
ya i've always carried modern fire making tools with me. Reason that I wanted to learn this is mainly for just brownie points and for the instance that if i needed to I would have the confidence and experience to do it.

·
Administrator
7,960 Posts
How long did it take you to finally start the fire?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's pretty cool. I've always wanted to try that.
making the items to do it is fairly straight forward(just make sure its soft wood, your finger nail should be able to indent the wood if you press up into it) the bow has to be arm length from fingers to armpit and make sure its green so its springy. spindle should be thicker than your thumb. it takes a bit of practice to get the synchronization of drilling. Gotta have the right amount of pressure pushing down on the spindle and then also gotta hold the bow properly so it doesnt go all over the place.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey...I watched some naked chick do it on the show Naked and Afraid...how hard can it be :shock::mrgreen:
haha do it. Trust me theres more technique to it than when you watch someone on tv doing it. Its alot of muscle memory once you get it going properly so watching someone do it makes it look simple and easy.

I had watch a good amount of people do it on youtube and always imagined it was simple, but once your down on one knee spinning it you realize you gotta be doing it right or you just waste energy and wear yourself out. Not saying its super hard but try it youll see knowledge is one thing and experience is another ;)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How long did it take you to finally start the fire?
I only built an ember that time, ill build a fire with my ember in a bit.
To build up the ember it took me a bit to get things synced up right...for starters my spindle had gotten too pointed so it wasn't making enough contact with the hearth board. and the top was smoking before my hearth board portion so i had to get the spindle flattened/rounded at the bottom and pointed at the top then things got fairly easy, maybe a minute or less to build up a good coal once things are set up right.
I didn't count how long it took I just spun till it was smoking good enough that I thought it would have an ember and it indeed did have an ember.

If anyone is interested in doing this, i will be posting a video with a very detailed explanation of what is needed. My friend took me through the whole process with detailed explaining etc.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
haha do it. Trust me theres more technique to it than when you watch someone on tv doing it. Its alot of muscle memory once you get it going properly so watching someone do it makes it look simple and easy.

I had watch a good amount of people do it on youtube and always imagined it was simple, but once your down on one knee spinning it you realize you gotta be doing it right or you just waste energy and wear yourself out. Not saying its super hard but try it youll see knowledge is one thing and experience is another ;)
Hey...wait a minute...I didn't say I could do it! Good work...I've watched a few video's and know that I'll keep buying the Costco 12 pack of lighters!

·
Administrator
7,960 Posts
Really cool post. Primitive fire starting is really something that I'd like to be better at and then teach scouts.

This is a skill that could save your life.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts