Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my family down to Fish Lake for the weekend and it was a really fun and successful trip even though it got cut a little short due to the weather that blew in Monday, we still had two full days on the ice Saturday and Sunday with beautiful blue skies and plenty of sunshine. Fishing was pretty darn good too! We fished out in front of the Lodge on Saturday and caught lots of small 4-6" perch and 8-10" splake in about 10-15' depth using ice flies and waxies, then moved out to 25-30' depth and caught bigger 14-18" splake and the occasional 14-16" rainbow with white glow tube jigs tipped with perch meat. I was kept busy cutting bait and baiting hooks for the wife and kids and didn't get to fish much myself but I didn't mind. :D

Sunday morning I snuck out early by myself while the family was still asleep and tried for a mack but with no luck. :cry: I did manage my limit of nicer splake though with one going almost 20". Sorry, no pics. I didn't bring a camera unfortunately. :oops:

Sunday afternoon we decided to try Mill Meadow since we already had our limits of trout and the perch at Fish Lake all seemed to be small. We fished out in front of the boat ramp and were able to pull in a few NICE and FAT 8-10" perch right off the bat, but then they disappeared and we weren't able to find any more. We kept busy catching and releasing 12-14" browns and splake the rest of the afternoon with ice flies and waxies and then left about 4:30. By then the wind was starting to kick up. It was a fun time and the kids got a kick out of it. My seven year old son showed he was really starting to get the hang of it by baiting his own hooks, dropping it down to the bottom and bringing it up a foot, then watching the fish finder and bringing it up when he saw fish come through that were suspended, and setting the hook and reeling in the fish all by himself. I really didn't have to do anything except rig up his pole and let him go! :mrgreen:

I had hoped to be able to fish Monday morning before heading home but there was a pretty good blizzard blowing so we just packed up and headed home. Everyone had fun and I think we may make it an annual trip. It was my first time fishing at Fish Lake and Mill Meadow and I was not disappointed. That area looks to have everything going for it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
We are going down there this next weekend on our (me and my wifea nd another couples) second annual fish lake weekend and my third annual ice fishing trip to Fish lake. Such an amazing place that is cheap to visit and minimual criwds. What more could you want.

I have to say, don't neglect ice off at these lakes in April, that can be a really fun time to be down there.

Nevermind, the fishing sucks and no one should ever fish in this area. 8)

·
Registered
28 Posts
WE ARE GOING DOWN TOMORROW (THURSDAY) TO LOA UNTIL MONDAY TO FISH AND PLAY AROUND. WE STAY AT A FRIENDS HOME IN LOA. MY QUESTION IS DID YOU STAY AT FISH LAKE? I THOUGHT THEY CLOSED FOR THE SEASON.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Lakeside Resort, on the west end at Tabiona Bay, is open during the winter. We were originally going to stay in one of their cabins but then we found a really nice place in Loa that was cheaper, plus it gave us the options of fishing Mill Meadow and Forsyth as well. It is called the Snuggle Inn and I highly recommend it. The rates are very reasonable and the place is very nice, and the owner is a real nice fellow.

Here is a link to their website: http://www.thesnuggleinn.com

I think we will stay there every time we gown that way as Loa is a very good central location for a lot of attractions like Fish Lake and Boulder Mtn.

·
Registered
163 Posts
We will actually be staying at the Fish Lake Lodge, but usually we stay at the Road Creek Ranch (Lodge) in Loa. We looked at the snuggle inn too and it is a good option. We actually found out that during the winter, the fish lake lodge is full price the first night but half price all nights after that. We are only paying $250 for three nights for a four person cabin right on Fish Lake. That makes the wife happier than a smaller hotel room and the close access to Fish Lake is unbeatable. We will still do MM and FOrsyth all day Saturday. If anyone wants to join us for either Fish Lake or the other lakes, let me know.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Been fishing down in that country for 40 years< Ain't it great? See any deer. It's been louzy down there for some years now.. Props to ya on the fishin...

·
Registered
163 Posts
oldfudd said:
Been fishing down in that country for 40 years< Ain't it great? See any deer. It's been louzy down there for some years now.. Props to ya on the fishin...
I have seen lots of deer each time I go to Mill Meadow and actually saw a huge elk and a few antelope in between Koosharem and LOA last October.

·
Registered
28 Posts
"JACKSON MAN"
I WILL BE IN A GREY DODGE MEGA CAB AT MILL MEADOW ON SATURDAY AND WILL HAVE A CAMO COLORED ATV ON THE ICE. PLEASE SAY HELLO IF YOU SEE MY WIFE AND I. I WOULD LIKE TO MEET SOMEONE NEW. MY NAME IS JOHN. I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN HEARING MORE ABOUT THE FISH LAKE ACCOMODATIONS. WE STAY AT A FRIENDS SECOND HOME IN LOA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts