Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out on the ice fishing at fish lake this weekend and caught a chub. I have never seen one here before. Is this a fluke or have I just never seen or caught one there?

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Fishlake has had chub for as long as I can remember. Cut it up and use it to catch a lake trout.

·
Registered
366 Posts
There's chubs in there, and they're trying to reduce the perch so the chubs can increase in numbers...they're a better prey for the trout. I caught a chub out of Fish Lake a few weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
On calm summer mornings you can see large schools of chubs cruising the weedline near the bottom when you're in a boat. There are some big ones down there. I suspect they are spawning, which is why you see so many perch in there too, eating the young'uns.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The big schools of big "chubs" are actually Utah suckers. I've caught one that was about 3 lbs before. The chubs are in there but are not as plentiful now due to the perch population. The lakers prefer chubs to eat.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Back probably 10+ years ago, fishing by the marinas if you caught a sucker, the people working at the marina would pay you 25 cents if you turned it in so they weren't in the lake anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts