Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
1. Is there any cell service? Like most areas in rural Utah, it is spotty.

2. There are a lot of first-come-first-serve campsites on recreation.gov. How hard is it to get a spot on an average Friday night? Should I plan on finding a dirt camping spot if I show up Friday night? Campgrounds at the lake will be busy, especially on a weekend. You might find one -- and you might not. Just have a backup plan of where you're going to go if the campgrounds are full -- you could continue on to Frying Pan, or Johnson res (campgrounds, may have openings), or up 7 Mile, back to Mitoge, High Top, etc...

3. If I'm traveling west on I-70 is it faster to get to fish lake via the Freemont exit or just continue around to Richfield and come in that way. (upside is the ability to stop at Wmart)

Where are you starting from? Whether you come from north (Wasatch Front), or south (Cedar City, St. George) there are better routes than "west on I-70".
From the north, I'd exit I-15 at Scipio, take highway 50 south, exit to Aurora --> Sigurd, highway 24.
From the south, take highway 20 exit over Bear Valley, 89 north to SR62 (Kingston) to Otter Creek, north at Otter Creek --> Koosharem, head up the hill.
If you really want Walmart, then head into Richfield, then use 119 over to 24.

No reason at all to exit at the Fremont Indian exit....you do not want to go south towards Piute / Junction -- that would add a bunch of time to your drive.

4. Does Powerbait and or earthworm and bubble work on fish lake? I fished it once in a rented boat and killed them with pop gear and a worm. I won't have a boat this time and would like to catch some fish with the kids.

this all depends on what you are wanting to catch. If you want rainbows, then give the Powerbait a try. If you want something else (splake, perch, lake trout, etc...) then I'd use a worm. Fly and bubble should work too. Just keep in mind the weeds...

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I'm starting from the Moab area, so I'm not sure if the highway 20 exit is the fastest way.

...Highway 72 is what I was calling the fremont exit.
Ah! That makes so much more sense!

Yes -- I would definitely take the 72.

Another option is the 7 Mile / Gooseberry road (exit 63)-- it's paved the whole way now, allthough it may not be the quickest.

Reactions: Sidviciouser
1 - 2 of 2 Posts