Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

I'm going to start scouting the Fish Lake area in earnest starting this weekend if possible. I have a few general questions about the area if anyone is willing to educate me.

1. Is there any cell service? I have kids coming to join me and may need to update them on our location or leave a bunch of paper plate instructions. :ROFLMAO:
2. There are a lot of first-come-first-serve campsites on recreation.gov. How hard is it to get a spot on an average Friday night? Should I plan on finding a dirt camping spot if I show up Friday night?
3. If I'm traveling west on I-70 is it faster to get to fish lake via the Freemont exit or just continue around to Richfield and come in that way. (upside is the ability to stop at Wmart)
4. Does Powerbait and or earthworm and bubble work on fish lake? I fished it once in a rented boat and killed them with pop gear and a worm. I won't have a boat this time and would like to catch some fish with the kids.

Any help is appreciated!

Sky Mountain Natural landscape Formation Landscape

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are a prince among men! If I knew your venmo I would send you $10. Thank you for taking the time. I'm planning to stay at Frying Pan so maybe there will be a spot if I show up early Friday evening.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Highway 72 is a good road off of I-70

I've struggled finding good primitive sites off the main USFS road but that was in the autumn with tons of hunters around.
Thanks @backcountry Highway 72 is what I was calling the fremont exit. I believe it's called Freemont River Road. In the uintas it's less crowded in the camp areas during the hunts. It sounds like it's more crowded down there? I can find a campsite all weekend long during the elk hunt in the uintas for instance. Is it not the same in the fish lake unit?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You folks are the best. Took Richfield in and it took way longer than I thought so you were right. Drove Gooseberry home and it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen in my life. We caught 18 smallish trout in the wind at fishlake and had the best fathers day ever. I'll check out Gates Lake next time. I towed my trailer down gooseberry and I'm glad I have some experience. You could overheat your brakes and/or transmission on that downhill.

The best part was the 125+ elk me and my son found this morning in one big canyon. A couple of really nice ones growing out. What an amazing place!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd love to catch perch with the kids. And They are delicious breaded and fried!

I think you're right about Niotche. I told my wife I might try to hunt elk right there even if they are smaller just to have the experience of taking a game animal in that breathtaking scenery. We didn't scout that area in the am so I don't know what kind of elk are in there. The elk heards seem to be looking great to my untrained eye. A lot of twin calves with the cows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts