Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went out in much better than expected conditions yesterday. I got down in the south valley and man, the wind was unbelievable... blowing vehicles all over the road. It was tough going driving up SF canyon to my turnoff because that canyon wind was fierce. I got to the stream... only to find the road plowed so there was up to 2 feet in all the parking areas. I chose instead to park at a pulloff where some brave soul had run off the side of the road and made tracks for me to park in. There was no wind on the river, but man, it was sure bitter cold. Note... I need to get some new handwarmers... the ones I had were old and didn't stay warm for more than twenty minutes (6 hours my foot!!). Anyway between making sure my dog stayed out of the water and melting the ice in the guides on my rod, I did manage to get a few casts in. The fish didn't seem to like the minnow today so the old standby got busted out and it was the only thing that produced... at least to hand. My first fish did come on a minnow, just dead drifted. The rod bowed and it was fish on... for a few seconds. Then the single hook popped off and an early morning swearing session ensued... I didn't expect to get many fish but a nice one like that is hard to lose anytime. Anyway, kept on fishing my way until I got to a nice pool... it looked great... nice, deep, green with slack water and a current line running down one side of it. I cast probably fifteen times into the hole, got hung in a tree about four times and never did get the lure right where I wanted it until... ah, luck is a good thing. The lure came down perfectly, spun on contact with the water and shortly thereafter, I was taking video (that I'll post when I edit it) of a nice fat Fork brown. Lucky I got him.... he had one hook from the treble in the ouside of his lower jaw. It held though (I love the hooks on Mepps spinners) and I got to hold my first fish. After that, I shivered and fished my way upriver, catching three more fish before sighting some turkeys and deciding to put a stalk on them to try and get some better pictures. Buddy and I crossed the river, and ran into knee deep snow with no crust so it was like wading through wet sand to try and catch these birds that seemed to have no trouble staying ahead of us. I did get some pictures though and once on the road, I walked back to the truck on my blocks of ice (wading boots) with a smile on my face and a happy dog to keep me company. I got down to Provo to pick up my daughter and she wasn't home yet so I had an hour to fish the Provo..... got a couple hits, but no fish to show for it. LOAH, it was in your old stomping grounds. I did get to see lots of ducks today so that was pretty cool, and with the deer, fish, and turkeys made today a pretty pleasant day to be out and about. Here's some pictures.

The sunrise

The river

Where I want to hunt part of the season next year... or at least check out the area.

Icy day... bank ice was on everything.

My second fish.

One of the last two browns (I don't remember which)

Turkeys....toms apparently.

Mom and daughter??

I'll put the video up when I edit out my S-word mistake :shock: :oops: and some of the more shaky footage.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Nice job getting something to take a spinner. I'll be watching for that video.

Glad you got out to, fish finally. What part of the LP did you fish when you went there?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Good report Riverrat, glad to see you hit some moving water and landed some fish! THose look like some healthy browns. Wish I could get out and fish today but its snowing like mad :evil: . Ill be looking for that video as well!

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOAH said:
Nice job getting something to take a spinner. I'll be watching for that video.

Glad you got out to, fish finally. What part of the LP did you fish when you went there?
I was back behind Riverwoods and the movie theater by the footbridge. It was fun getting them to eat a spinner... those always produce when nothing else is stirring up strikes.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Riverrat77 said:
I was back behind Riverwoods and the movie theater by the footbridge. It was fun getting them to eat a spinner... those always produce when nothing else is stirring up strikes.
Wow, you were about a mile from my house.

That spot normally works out for me, but not in the deeper hole underneath and downstream from the bridge. Surprisingly, I tend to hook up along the bank within the first 100 ft upstream, in the faster section. Kinda strange how that works there. Did you fish the whole area?

The best bridge is the next one downstream...Across the road and down 100 yds. That's where my wife caught her very first fish.

Glad you got a chance to fish it though.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the video... sorry it took so long but the websites weren't letting me upload the video because it was too long so I had to cut it in two (which the remix would have done anyway) and then reconnect it with the pieces I wanted. Anyway, hope you like it.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Sweet brown, dude. Nice lookin' beast. I'll have to remember: the hole under the tree by that one bend. :lol:

I bet you were glad that he didn't cut your line with the ice. Pretty nerve-racking.

·
Registered
325 Posts
RiverRat, Nice posts!

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOAH said:
Sweet brown, dude. Nice lookin' beast. I'll have to remember: the hole under the tree by that one bend. :lol:

I bet you were glad that he didn't cut your line with the ice. Pretty nerve-racking.
They're like that all over the place up there man.... better in the summer, especially now that they've run that tunnel for the irrigation water so the river doesn't get blown out like it used to every spring. About cutting the line on the ice.... I honestly wasn't all that worried about it. That line... its Excalibur Silver Thread. I used to be a huge fan of Stren Magnathin, but tried this Silver Thread on the advice of Tubedude from BFT and haven't changed that spool for about a year now.. maybe longer. I don't lose fish because of weak knots, abraded line or any of that anymore.... if I lose fish, its because its stuff like a hook popping out or something stupid I do to mess things up. In fact, I don't know if you remember but last year when my daughter caught a big old catfish, she was using this same spool of line. Also, the fish that I caught last year, took pictures off off of some creeks, and got video of was on this spool..... it just doesn't seem to wear out where I was replacing the line on my reels at least every six months before with other lines and I don't go through line near as fast because its chewed up by rocks, branches and fish. Its really good stuff to use, especially if you're fishing in snaggy, nasty environments.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Great pics fun video, thanks for taking the time to put that up, very fun to watch. I've had DF on my list of places to try for years, never enough time.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Great pictures and an awesome video. It made me want to get out in the cold and give it another shot or two this winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts