Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's hear you're 3 biggest pet peeves while fishing. Don't make it long, just a basic..
Here's mine...
#1 People that get too close
#2 Water skiers
#3 People that don't pick up their trash!

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
1. Litterers
2. Obnoxious, loud partiers or, worse still, loud arguers who can't leave their domestic disputes at home.
3. Closely related to number two but deserving of special mention are those people who inflict their musical tastes on everyone within 500 yards (as if the peace and quiet of the outdoors is somehow lacking and that a little hip-hop or gangsta rap shared with everyone else at the lake will remedy the problem).

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
americanforkdude said:
Boy scouts?? that's new to me?
Just wait until the day comes when yopu get to one of your favorite fishing holes and there is a whole scout troop there making all kinds of noise and throwing rocks, etc. You will then understand where I am coming from, although Petersen makes a good point with his number three and on further reflection, I would say that is also my #3, with the boy scouts close behind.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I can definitely understand a bunch of scouts annoying you throwing rocks and stuff but I would personally be glad to give up my best fishin hole for a day if it helped to get a bunch of kids get involved and exited about fish. To each there own.
1] the guy in the speedboat on porcupine resevoir while I was in my float tube that didnt understand wake speed only, or the definition of my finger in the air.
2] the guy on logan river that walked into the middle of my fishin hole to get a little closer to the fish after I had took the time to creep up on that hole.
3] The people who feel the need to honk at you in the river as they drive bye, I know your there now shut up and drive.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd have to say for now, Park fees in Winter, for bathrooms that are locked for the season.
Crowds.
Loudmouths that everyone can hear what they are saying across the Lake. (sound carries, a long distance over open water)

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I am going to cheat and post more than three because I have many.

1. Poachers
2. Wasted wildlife bringing limit after limit home and freezing them never to be eaten
3. Fishing right on top of each other aka combat fishing
4. People who talk a big game but can't catch fish to save thier skin
5. Big boats going to fast to close
6. Loud music as already said I fish to get away from it all not to hear your music!
7. Unfriendly people you walk by and say hi to and they just look at you funny
8. Bait fisherman on artificial only waters
9. Anyone who only fishes dry flies and thinks streamers or nymphs are cheating
10. Not enough time off work to enjoy the outdoors!
11. People that do not pay thier share of expenses on a fishing trip or say thank you
12. Adults taking all the fish from the communty ponds meant to get kids out fishing
13. Littering, pack your trash out your mom isn't comming to clean up after you!
14. Guides who think they own the river
15. SUWA
16. PETA
17. Losing your last fly that is working
18. Losing any luckycrafts
19. Big tigers that break my heart last year
20. Friends who no longer can make time to fish because "they are just so busy!"

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
1. People..... period. (I'm attempting to soften my resolve to fish alone for the sake of good company)
1a. If I run into people and I at least try and be friendly, acknowledge that. Don't blow me off because I have a dog and a spinning reel. I could have just as easily shot you, took your wallet and left you for dead on the riverbank (not that I ever would). :idea:
1b. Don't be overly noisy.... yeah, I understand, you're having a good time and thats cool, but running cRAP on your wakeboarding boat is not what everyone else on the water wants to listen to, neither is screaming death metal in a quiet meadow in the Uintas. Seriously.... :roll:

2. Ice.... I'm not built for the cold... so I either freeze or pack on enough layers to make people think I'm running my own thrift store. Although catching fish can be done, it sure is a lot more pleasurable when the temps get above single digits, at least for me. :?

Other than those two.... I really don't have much else that aggravates me on the water.... I can work with wind, weather, work around trash, catch fish with questionable gear (unsharpened hooks, crappy line, temperamental spinning reels, broken rod guides to name a few), hike hard enough or far enough that I don't feel crowded, catch fish even when I run into somebody every other turn and I get out to relax.... so I try and keep that mindset as much as possible and it eliminates me getting bent about all the little stuff thats going to happen whether I'm ticked about it or not. I used to get bent about the dirty looks and stuff I would get on some of the rivers from flyfishermen but I've talked to and met enough of them that are really good folks that I think anymore, its the people, not the way they fish, that angers me. Some folks are just going to be a butt whether they have a fly rod, spinning reel or baitcaster in their hand.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Riverrat77 said:
1b. Don't be overly noisy.... yeah, I understand, you're having a good time and thats cool, but running cRAP on your wakeboarding boat is not what everyone else on the water wants to listen to, neither is screaming death metal in a quiet meadow in the Uintas. Seriously.... :roll:
Oh come on Rat, we all know that nothing enhances the outdoor experience better then snoop dogg. I know when I think of gangster rap, white kids out on the lake are exactly what comes to mind. :wink:

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Everyone has covered my pet peeves, but I will still write them down.

1- Inconsiderate people period! (Litterers, people who come take over your whole or fish right next to you when there is plenty of other open water (I don't mind people fishing by me, but give some room), being excessively noisy, ect....)

2- Boaters that come flying past you when you are fishing either from shore/boat/float tube. Boaters that pull right up by where you are fishing and start throwing lures where you are fishing.

3- People that are cold to you when you run into them on the river or lakes. At least say hi back, you don't own the **** river or lake, so don't act like I shouldn't be there.

After looking at all of mine, they can all be linked back to people just being inconsiderate.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Nibble Nuts said:
Riverrat77 said:
Oh come on Rat, we all know that nothing enhances the outdoor experience better then snoop dogg. I know when I think of gangster rap, white kids out on the lake are exactly what comes to mind. :wink:
Funny you mention that. I was at Pineview this summer and some Wanksters (White Gangsters) were out wake boarding and they had Dr. Dre and Snoop blaring unedited. Now swearing doesn't bother me, but there are a lot of people out there that it really bugs them. I could hear it clearly even when they were out 300+ yards away from me. It goes back to people being inconsiderate.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts