Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a dilemma. I lucked out by drawing an Expo tag for a Fishlake elk (rifle) tag. Of course, I missed the deadline to change my draw to points, and now it looks like I've drawn a Wasatch rifle bull tag (if credit card results can be believed) with 8 points.

Of course I understand that the Expo tag doesn't require me to sit out the next five years of the elk draw. But, work situations will require that I work lots of overtime right up to the hunt and after the hunt which will limit my time hunting. I live in SLC, and know the Wasatch unit. I don't know the FL unit, and it obviously is a lot longer drive and will require more scouting.

I need to figure out which tag I will be turning in.

Not considering the fact that I'll likely never draw another bull tag if I hunt the Wasatch, which unit would you rather hunt this year?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'd hunt FL. It's a "free" tag as points go. You may not get a giant bull, but you'll get to hunt an LE unit and not have to wait to continue to apply for another LE unit. You're basically getting 2 LE elk hunts instead of one.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Besides, if you turn the Wasatch tag back, doesn't it give you a bonus point, effectively doing what you meant to do by changing your app to bonus point only in the first place?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Turn back the Wasatch tag. You hit the lottery by drawing an expo tag. Besides, you may come to love the fish lake area and decide you want to hunt it again in the future with your points b

·
Registered
282 Posts
Give the snatch tag back, save the points, hunt a limited area again in the next few years. You will enjoy the fish lake area a lot more than the wasatch.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
No-brainer----FL...:!:...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Points are a precious commodity, they represent years of time invested. Turn the Wastch tag in, go hunt a great unit and keep building those points for another great hunt in the near future.

·
Registered
95 Posts
+9 ∆
took me 15 years of points to finally draw, turn that snatch tag back in. Even if you can only scout a couple weekends prior, I am sure you can gather enough info to nave a successful hunt.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
If I had a choice between a fish lake tag or a wasatch tag, I would pick the Fishlake tag 100% of the time. The elk herd may be about 1/4 of the size, but there will be 1/10 of the people. There are still some big bulls on the fishlake.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Turn in FL tag, burn your points, hunt the Wasatch and never hunt elk in Utah again. :rolleyes:

Why did you even have to ask this question?
Because of time commitments that have arisen from an unexpected workload for the next 6-9 months, I may have little or no time to spend the necessary time scouting FL. In contrast, living close to the Wasatch I can spend some time there and I know the area.

From a waiting period/ability to draw a tag view, it's clearly a no brainer to keep the FL tag. From a time availability view, Wasatch works better. Additionally, in the past few years I've found a great Any Bull area where I've been having a heckuva lot of fun and success.

My question was more directed at the quality of the units.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your input guys. I'll have to get this annoying work situation straightened out.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts