Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I get, a pontoon or a float tube? I was thinking about getting a float tube but those pontoons look really nice any thoughts???

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Unless you want to add a motor to a pontoon, the new U-Boats are great.
They let you set up higher than the old round float tubes.
They are much lighter and will move through the water faster and with less effort than a toon.
In most cases U-Boats are cheaper and they are a lot easier to take down to the water.
With all that said, I have both and use both depending on the conditions and as I said, whether or not I want to use a motor.
Look at the Fish Cats for the most popular U-Boats.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would say a pontoon for the following reasons:

1) get to areas faster.
2) don't have to get in the water.
3) I made a small platform on mine so I can stand up.
4) Get an ancor and it will stay in place with no effort, whereas with float tubes, you have to kick around alot to stay where you want ESPECIALLY when its windy.
5) More room to put your stuff
6) Sit higher up in the water (for most pontoons anyways).

I have the outcast 8' quad pontoon and would highly reccommend it especially because its only about $500 (good price for a good pontoon). I also have an electric ancor/motor which really helps. If you have these things than its definitely better than a float tube. One benefit for float tubes is that you can turn directions really easily (to fish different directions) whereas with a pontoon, your always facing the way the wind/breeze is blowing (using an ancor). you'd better have an ancor otherwise you would have to be paddling constantly because the slightest wind will take you pretty quick.

·
Registered
385 Posts
get a quad pontoon. living in southern utah i would much rather have a pontoon than a float tube. after i got my toon i never even touch my tube anymore. if you get a tube make sure you have some warm waders on.
pontoon vs. foat tube.
pontoon pros-stay dryer and higher out of the water, moves along the water easier, can hook up an anchor and/or motor, has oars for tired legs (if no motor), less of a struggle in the wind.
pontoon cons-more expensive, heavy (if you want to carry it into hike in fisheries get a tube.

my suggestion would be a quad toon pontoon. they are even smoother along the water, the wind effects them even less, and if one blows on you, you are still safe with three.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have both and haven't used the float tube in years. Pontoon with a motor is how I roll! More room for your fish finder, fly boxes, spare rod, extra reels/ spools, beer, food, net, etc. Plus with a motor you can fish in the wind without killing yourself and cover more water.

Float tubes can be hiked into smaller lakes so if that is what you do most, get one of them.

·
87 Posts
I use both. Try backpacking a pontoon with its frame, oars, anchor, battery, and electric motor 5 miles into a High Uinta lake. A simple float tube can fit into a backpack and be taken about anywhere. It also fits easily onto the back of a motorcycle or four wheeler.

So, I wouldn’t sell my float tube as it still has an important place in my fishing armory.

·
Registered
980 Posts
ScottyP said:
Float tubes can be hiked into smaller lakes so if that is what you do most, get one of them.
This is the only time I use mine. I don't like using a float tube any other time just because it is a lot of work to use one. If it is windy, be ready for a workout, they are hard to control, and are very slow going.

You will probably get more use out of a toon if you plan on fishing a lot on larger lakes.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The last time I used a tube I fought the wind at Jordanelle to near exhaustion and the time before that I had a bad time at Panguitch trying to get through a big weed bed. After that I got a toon and have not regretted it.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
What everybody said....I looked for quite awhile before I decided....I ended up with the same as Jeremy28...except double. Motors, battery's, platform, fish finder, room for beer, twinkies, worms, flies, (what the heck ? )...oh, and yeah, fishing poles and fish. .. :)

But, it's not really too good for right now....maybe soon??.. :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
.45 said:
What everybody said....I looked for quite awhile before I decided....I ended up with the same as Jeremy28...except double. Motors, battery's, platform, fish finder, room for beer, twinkies, worms, flies, (what the heck ? )...oh, and yeah, fishing poles and fish. .. :)

Just get a sail and you will be ready for Strawberry! -()/-

·
Registered
225 Posts
Definitely the way to go would be to order the 9' quad pontoon they have on the Cabelas website for only $525 with free shipping (I think).

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I use a float tube but only because i have no other choice at the present time. But if you have the choice to buy either, Pontoon for sure... :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am also looking to do stillwater. I am sorry but what is the difference between a quad pontoon and pontoon?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Grandpa D hit it on the head. Get a U-tube they offer the best of both worlds. THe ONLY downside to them is you can't put a motor on them, but in my case i don't need one anways. Too big of a hastle. You won't regret it. I would probably even coniser trading my toon for a U tube but who knows??

·
Registered
385 Posts
Fishing31 said:
I am also looking to do stillwater. I am sorry but what is the difference between a quad pontoon and pontoon?
i wrote this earlier but here it is again. my suggestion would be a quad toon pontoon. they are even smoother along the water, the wind effects them even less, and if one blows on you, you are still safe with three.

a quad toon has four tubes a regular toon only has two. it is actually easier to fill up because they are four smaller ones. also because you have four toons skimming along the water, it is a lot smoother and is easier to handle in the wind. they barely sink when you put it in the water compared to regular toons. also because you have four air tanks holding you up you can put more weight and force on it. when you have a motor on it it affects the dip less.

i have the one from sportsmans which is the same from cabelas but it is an 8' rather than a 9' and it is my favorite piece of fishing equipment i have.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Jeremy28 said:
how do you do the little quote thing where you can paste what someone else said above your post?
Click on the 'Quote' button.....upper right hand corner by the avatar...

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
FishGlyph said:
.45 said:

After seeing .45's and luckystrike's pontoonies, I want one! Maybe .45 will have enough patience to teach me how to fly fish someday too. :mrgreen:
You may not want that to happen....even with a fly rod, I use a worm to catch the larger fish.. :mrgreen: _(O)_ :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
.45 said:
FishGlyph said:
[quote=".45":2hhdglau]What everybody said....I looked for quite awhile before I decided....I ended up with the same as Jeremy28...except double. Motors, battery's, platform, fish finder, room for beer, twinkies, worms, flies, (what the heck ? )...oh, and yeah, fishing poles and fish. .. :)

After seeing .45's and luckystrike's pontoonies, I want one! Maybe .45 will have enough patience to teach me how to fly fish someday too. :mrgreen:
You may not want that to happen....even with a fly rod, I use a worm to catch the larger fish.. :mrgreen: _(O)_ :mrgreen:[/quote:2hhdglau]
I thought this was .45 and his pontoon... :shock:[attachment=0:2hhdglau]redneck_bass_boat.jpg[/attachment:2hhdglau]

1 - 20 of 58 Posts