Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally take my dogs out running on a secluded part of the river, so I can work my wirehair on water retrieves without worrying about him pouncing on a nesting duck.

Yesterday, A group of cattle found my spot and they had calves.

I let them have the area, because my basset hound has the heart of a lion and the brain of a potato - so she would have been trampled by the mother cows.

I headed up river on a side road, I found a spot and looked for ducks through the binoculars and noticed some fish splashing in 3 near by ponds that were filled when the river water level rose. The water level receded and there were around 20-40 carp in these 3 ponds. The water was shin deep at the most and ankle deep for most of it. The carp were breaking the surface with their back.

I decided to bring out my inner Jeremiah Johnson and catch a few with my hands. The dogs were there to aid me in this.

The plan was to chase them into the shallow portions and catch them by the head or gills and quickly kill them with a blow with the miner's wrench (engineered with hammer) to the brain stem.

The funniest part was the basset hound would chase them and then the carp would swim right under her and she would continue the pursuit with no idea how to catch them.

The wirehair figured out that fish do not like to live out of water and you have to grab them by the tail or fin to drag them out. He ended with 2 by himself.

I ended up with 3, making the total of 5.

Fish were heavy 7-20 lbs (Guess).

There were certainly heavy to drag to the shore.

It was just a fun way to walk the dogs.

Send me a PM if you are interested in Bow Fishing this spot, in a week or two these ponds will dry up and the birds will have a hay day.

My freezer is full of bait for the year, so it is fair game to anyone else.

Attachments

·
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a blast, there was a learning curve.

I'm sure if someone would have saw me at first they would have said I fished poorly.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I used to do this as a kid. Some of the most smile-inducing memories. I wouldn't mind finding out where this is. Maybe take the kids out and introduce them to some *******-style fun. :)

·
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used to do this as a kid. Some of the most smile-inducing memories. I wouldn't mind finding out where this is. Maybe take the kids out and introduce them to some *******-style fun. :)
Blacks Fork River by Flaming Gorge. Outside of Green River, Wyoming.

It might be even more flooded now, all it has done is rain for the last week.

Wait until it dries up for a few days and there will probably be a lot more carp.

Pineview may also have a few pockets of ponds where the middle fork enters the lake with all the moisture that we are getting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts