Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm wanting to put a floor in my boat so that it's flat and easier to move around what would you guys recommend using to do that? Thanks for any input pictures also would be great!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I got the idea from Fowlmouth to use 1/2 ply wood. (NOT OSB ply) but, ply wood CDX.
I cut it out to the size of my floor and lay it in there. works great

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I used a nice piece of aluminum to go over the ribs in my riveted boat. then I cheapo hydro turfed it and it has worked out very well.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
I didn't use any screws at all. My boat doesn't have a center bench, I used a full sheet of plywood (I cut 2" off the length instead of cutting out for each individual rib) that floor doesn't go anywhere with the longtail on it, and bags of decoys.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't use any screws at all. My boat doesn't have a center bench, I used a full sheet of plywood (I cut 2" off the length instead of cutting out for each individual rib) that floor doesn't go anywhere with the longtail on it, and bags of decoys.
That's what I was going to ask next is if I have to screw it down or not cause I was thinking I didn't want to have to but my boat has a center bench I wish it didn't to be honest so I will have to have 2 sections.

·
Registered
216 Posts
We have done a bunch in aluminum and then covered with hydro turf. While not the cheapest method, it will not absorb water and add weight. My first boat in 98' had a marine plywood floor and when I went to clean under it a couple seasons later it took three of us to pull it out it weighed so much. Last wood floor I ever had.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's what I was going to ask next is if I have to screw it down or not cause I was thinking I didn't want to have to but my boat has a center bench I wish it didn't to be honest so I will have to have 2 sections.
I have a partial V hull 14' Jon boat that had 3 benches in it, I was not happy climbing over the benches last year and not having good standing area for shooting or driving with the long tail. So I cut them all out this year and coated the entire inside of the boat with truck bed lining. Then built a front & rear platform. Taken it out twice this past week and with the benches removed there is so much more room and it floats and rides ot better. Using 5 gallon buckets with the seat attachments for seats this year. Not sure what your boat is and if cutting out benches is an option but I'm happy with the result on mine. I might put a floor in but will probably wait until next year.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
My old flat bottom has the Center seat, I cut my plywood to fit pretty tight on both sides but I still screwed it down cause I didn't want it to shift or make noise when stepping on it.

I went with some 1/4 rubber stall matting on mine. It has a fairly rough texture and provides pretty good traction to walk on. Since I don't have to run a mud motor down here and I have a 40hp outboard, I'm not as conscious of weight in my rig as I would be running a straight mud rig

And If my rig wasn't a riveted hull I'd put a metal floor in it in a heartbeat, but I prefer to be able to remove the floor for access to the fasteners.

·
Registered
424 Posts
We have done a bunch in aluminum and then covered with hydro turf. While not the cheapest method, it will not absorb water and add weight. My first boat in 98' had a marine plywood floor and when I went to clean under it a couple seasons later it took three of us to pull it out it weighed so much. Last wood floor I ever had.
Hey Chuck,
What thickness aluminum do you use on your floors? I'm in the process of pulling out my wood floor and putting in an aluminum one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts