Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built this rifle a few years ago and sold it I'm going to rebuild it just not sure I like the barrel fluting. What do you all think?

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,341 Posts
I like straight better but I like the interrupted fluting. I really dig spiral fluting though.
Nice rifle!!!

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I prefer the straight but that's just me. This does look cool though.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Personally, I am going with ugly, but I am a purest that thinks anything but wood and blue and/or case color is wrong.
But for my information, does fluting have any functional value...cooling???

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
... does fluting have any functional value...cooling???
Yup, cooling. It increases the surface area around the barrel which increases cooling.

That dithered pattern is interesting, I personally like straight flutes. But really with my OCD regarding dirt on my guns, flutes always seem to hold dirt and are harder to clean. Bugs me...

-DallanC

·
Administrator
21,629 Posts
Personally, I am going with ugly, but I am a purest that thinks anything but wood and blue and/or case color is wrong.
Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. As long as it's got a nice piece a walnut on it who cares what the barrel looks like?

Reactions: sawsman

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
I think it looks awesome for something at the range and in the safe, but seems like it would collect dust and dirt in the field. Looks expensive. A regular flute would be much easier to keep clean it seems, but sure looks cool.

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,341 Posts
I think it looks awesome for something at the range and in the safe, but seems like it would collect dust and dirt in the field. Looks expensive. A regular flute would be much easier to keep clean it seems, but sure looks cool.
Which brings up another point about fluting. I was told fluting on bolts catch the dirt and grime and help keep it from smearing and abrasing the bolt and bolt race. Not sure how big of a benefit it is but it may help.

·
Registered
811 Posts
seems busy to me; I'd have trouble shooting straight cuz I'd be looking at the fancy barrel all the time. But then I'm easily distracted

1 - 15 of 15 Posts