Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a four piece fly rod and noticed that at the beginning of the second piece the guide isn't exactly lined up directly with all the others, but is slightly off. Is this normal?

·
Registered
189 Posts
dryfly said:
I purchased a four piece fly rod and noticed that at the beginning of the second piece the guide isn't exactly lined up directly with all the others, but is slightly off. Is this normal?
I'm not sure I understand your question. Your saying that when you put the 2end piece in that the first guide does not line up, but all the other guides do? So… to make sure I understand, if I was to take the second piece and align the first guide with the last guide on the first piece that the other entire guides would be off? Then no, this is not normal. All your guides should line up with each other. I would take it back it I were you.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If it is not out of line with the others too badly, I doubt you will notice any difference in your casting. Where did you purchase the rod? Most fly shops should bend over backwards to get you a different rod without defect. Hopefully they will swap you with another one on hand while they send yours back for repair.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
All your guides should line up with each other.
That's not exactly true, many manufacturers/builders will offset the stripping guide one way or another, usually to the left, I know I do. It makes the angle less acute when stripping. I have noticed a bit of difference in rods that I built with a pretty good offset.

Sorry to hijack. I would take the rod back if it bugs you too much, but it should perform just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts