Utah Wildlife Forum banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
You wrote the following-Do you want to contend that it's growth when winters have obviously drastically changed right before your eyes due to the climate warming and drying in the region? Again, I have not said growth is not a part of it, but it is far from the much more significant parts that are contributing to the lake drying up. The reason the lake is drying up is because there is far less water to go around overall, and we need to be focusing much harder on what we do with the water we do have.
Here is data from the NOAA on our average precipitation
View attachment 150392

Here is the population of Utah in 1960 and again in 2020-
1960- 900,000 people
2020- 3.28 million people.

If the average precipitation is holding steady over those 60 years and the population has tripled you will continue to argue it’s not a significant issue when it comes to water? Climate change has increased temps but the historical average remains close to the same for precipitation #1deer. The reason the lake is drying up is that it’s being used beneficially before it gets to the GSL to hydrate, feed and employ the extra 2.38 million plus people living in Utah now!
If you read the report above it explains how even if annual moisture stays the same the amount evaporating, snow melting sooner, etc. is having a big impact on what is actually running into lakes, rivers, and stream across the state. Annual precipitation amounts can stay the exact same, the warming temperature is ensuring far less of that moisture ever makes it anywhere but the ground or evaporated back into the atmosphere.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
So, according to this display of data, is it suggesting there have been dry periods off and on over the last 100 years or so?

Say it ain't so!
Lowest recorded levels of water ever in Lake Powell and the GSL. But yes HDE. Everything is business as usual. Eye roll.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
More facts to consider-
19,000 farms in Utah in 1960 and a total of 13.6 million acres in farms
18,400 farms in Utah in 2017 and 10.8 million acres in farms. So we’ve lost roughly 3 million acres of farmland and replaced that with almost 2.4 million people. But that doesn’t affect the GSL or other watersheds in the state? At least not significantly right? 🙄
I never said it didn’t impact them, I said there are far bigger limiting factors as far as water running to the lake. The problem isn’t necessarily farms are using more than they did, the problem is there is less water than there was available in these diversions before.

·
Registered
148 Posts
1#deer I don’t think I can ever sway you to my point of view. And I’m confident you aren’t even making a dent in how I feel. So I will agree to disagree and step out. Good luck

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Lowest recorded levels of water ever in Lake Powell and the GSL. But yes HDE. Everything is business as usual. Eye roll.
Understand, the water management plan CA has adopted over the years has played a significant impact on both Powell and Mead. Population growth along the Colorado river system has also taken it's toll as well.

Indeed, eyeroll, eyeroll, eyeroll...

·
Registered
148 Posts
One last thing- water never goes anywhere. It evaporates and becomes rain or snow. If the snow melts and runs into reservoirs or lakes we capture it to use. If it melts and goes into the ground instead it recharges aquifers and provides water that feeds springs and wells. The climate has been changing since the ice age. I for one am grateful it’s warmed up enough to sustain life in a much easier way that hunting mammoths with sharp sticks. 😁

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Understand, the water management plan CA has adopted over the years has played a significant impact on both Powell and Mead. Population growth along the Colorado river system has also taken it's toll as well.

Indeed, eyeroll, eyeroll, eyeroll...
To be clear, Mead and Powell do have much more to do with population growth than the GSL, however, to pretend winters, runoff, and weather are business as usual is very much asinine.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
One last thing- water never goes anywhere. It evaporates and becomes rain or snow. If the snow melts and runs into reservoirs or lakes we capture it to use. If it melts and goes into the ground instead it recharges aquifers and provides water that feeds springs and wells. The climate has been changing since the ice age. I for one am grateful it’s warmed up enough to sustain life in a much easier way that hunting mammoths with sharp sticks. 😁
Take a look at the soup bowl of air along the Wasatch front every winter, and then realize SLC is relatively small in terms of city sizes. Then tell me humans don’t impact the environment. People who want to pretend humans and carbon emissions aren’t impacting the planet have never once took a moment to look at studies on the issue, just like you couldn’t look at a short study on the exact conversation we’re having here above. Yes the climate can always be changing. That doesn’t negate the fact that we are having an impact.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Take a look at the soup bowl of air along the Wasatch front every winter, and then realize SLC is relatively small in terms of city sizes. Then tell me humans don’t impact the environment. People who want to pretend humans and carbon emissions aren’t impacting the planet have never once took a moment to look at studies on the issue, just like you couldn’t look at a short study on the exact conversation we’re having here above. Yes the climate can always be changing. That doesn’t negate the fact that we are having an impact.
And you keep screaming population growth doesn’t effect water usage. See the hypocrisy!!!!
🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
You have zero credibility when you make zero sense. No freaking wonder Biden just nominated and had confirmed a person who is a convicted eco terrorist from earth first as his new BLM director. Folks like yourself are the reason idiots like Brandon got elected. Asinine!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,275 Posts
I can’t believe I just saw someone argue the GSL doesn’t have a benefit to the state except to recreate on.

Goodness. Be better, Critter.
I was just making a point. Except for the Wasatch Front very few care about the GSL and even most of the population in the Wasatch Front don't care about it. All they care is that when they turn a faucet on water comes out and when they flush the toilette that whatever that is in it goes away.

I'd still like to see what they are going to do about the Sevier River or the aquifer that Vegas wants to tap into.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are fighting the Vegas water grab. Have been since it was proposed.

How many people are down wind of the bowl that the Sevier river drops into? Give it a radius of say a hundred miles. Compared to the GSL it is nothing.

·
Super Moderator
10,275 Posts
While that is true, how much money needs to be spent to make it snow a few more feet or rain more inches to increase the level of the GLS, not to mention figuring out a way to stop the evaporation of the surface water?

But some believe that if you spend enough money you can fix anything.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
While that is true, how much money needs to be spent to make it snow a few more feet or rain more inches to increase the level of the GLS, not to mention figuring out a way to stop the evaporation of the surface water?

But some believe that if you spend enough money you can fix anything.
That's a bit simplistic. Money doesn't fix everything. But human ingenuity definitely requires funding to at least attempt to address problems of this size.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
No, it's not asinine. Data doesn't lie. You're kidding yourself if you think humans have the power to control the elements...
You're exaggerating what I'm saying. Humans can't control the elements, but they do have an impact on the environment and 99.9% of scientists AGREE climate change is happening and is in part caused by humans and carbon emissions. I'm sorry HDE, I will trust those studying the issues and who actually know what they're talking about and not you or the guy at the coffee shop down the street. Where scientists disagree is on the approaches to take to minimize the impacts we have, how much we can actually curve what has been done, and to what extent we are having an impact on the climate. It is you, who is ignoring the data.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
And you keep screaming population growth doesn’t effect water usage. See the hypocrisy!!!!
🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
You have zero credibility when you make zero sense. No freaking wonder Biden just nominated and had confirmed a person who is a convicted eco terrorist from earth first as his new BLM director. Folks like yourself are the reason idiots like Brandon got elected. Asinine!!!
Again, haven't said that, but you apparently have very little reading comprehension skills. And this type of response from you? Not a surprise at all. I'm not super partisan, unlike most of you secretly or not. Things like say the infrastructure bill that both political parties said was needed? See I don't care who gets something done, just that they get it done.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts