Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've read all about TTS shot on the internet and I drank the Kool-Aid and bought some from Toasty. Well after today I am in search of 28ga Anonymous meetings in the greater SLC area.

I set out this morning on a sub gauge Honker hunt with my trusty LW 1100 skeet gun. Thinking I would need birds inside the 25 yard mark I laid in my blind and patiently waited. Passing up a couple of opportunities outside the 25 yard line I said to myself B.S. pull the trigger if they float out in front me again. Next 4 pack floated over the top at 35-40 yards, first shot was a miss, second bark of the little 28 connected and I was to stunned to shoot again looking at that big honk falling out of the sky. I must say I am totally amazed at what 13/16oz of TSS #8 shot can do to a goose outside of the 35 yard range.

This hunt this morning just cost me another gun. I need a new synthetic model 28ga for waterfowling. I don't want to ruin this Rem 1100 I took today.

I'm sure the boys at Remington back in 1975 never thought this little LW 1100 would be a goose killer when they boxed it & shipped it out ;)

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,399 Posts
Cool, ya gotta love that.

I didn't know 1100s had screw-in chokes in 1975.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, ya gotta love that.

I didn't know 1100s had screw-in chokes in 1975.

wyogoob you are correct on the barrel. I bought this gun a few years ago with a fixed skeet choke barrel. It soon became my main 5 stand gun. So I bought a Remchoke barrel for it. In hindsight it probably would of been cheaper to buy a new Sporting model 1100

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Awesome. I remember you looking at me like I had gone crazy when I told you the #8s would do the job. I am glad you gave them a shot and hammered the geese. I tried #8s this year, but ended up switching to 1oz TSS #7s in my 28ga weatherby and was very happy with them.

So when are you going to take me with you so we can line up 8 geese and 2 28ga shotguns? I'll supply the shells.:grin:

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I am thinking about drinking the kool aid myself.....However I won't be going with a 28 I am currently trying to find a 20 gauge full size 870 Wingmaster with screw in chokes...the older the better. I would like to find one that is 3" capable but will consider one that is 2 3/4" if the deal is right....then I can try some of them anti aircraft range shells Toasty and Hammerin seem to lay them out with.

·
Administrator
21,399 Posts
wyogoob you are correct on the barrel. I bought this gun a few years ago with a fixed skeet choke barrel. It soon became my main 5 stand gun. So I bought a Remchoke barrel for it. In hindsight it probably would of been cheaper to buy a new Sporting model 1100
Thanks. I kinda collect the older model LW 1100s, especially the mahogany-stock ones from the early 70s, and thought I had missed some models. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Heck it would have killed them just as dead at 50 yards out of your 28 gauge that is some mean stuff. I had a hen mallard that crashed about 70 yards out with some steel shot I put in 13HW#4 put it a little over it's head and whamo dead duck very mean stuff. I am starting buy some TSS for my 28 for this next season:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Right on Jerry!!!

There is just nothing like touching off that little light load thinking no way I'll kill that bird them bam, the goose just crumples like a sack and hits the earth.....dang I love it!!!!

Great to see another believe out enjoying the little 28 in the marsh!!!

Great job!!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I want to get some components for the 410.

Goob Do you have a vintage LW 1100 - 410 in your collection? I've always wanted to get my hands on one of those

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I am thinking about drinking the kool aid myself.....However I won't be going with a 28 I am currently trying to find a 20 gauge full size 870 Wingmaster with screw in chokes...the older the better. I would like to find one that is 3" capable but will consider one that is 2 3/4" if the deal is right....then I can try some of them anti aircraft range shells Toasty and Hammerin seem to lay them out with.
My old man has just what your looking for. I'm afraid it is not within your reach however. Considering he has informed me I will have to pry it from his dead fingers once he expires. Im not kidding when I say this gun is pristine! Like new out of the box. Only had maybe 2 boxes of shells through it. He acts like its the watch that was passed down on Pulp Fiction. I get it though. Ill keep trying....

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Congrats on the good goose shoot...:cool:

Forgive my ignorance but, TTS ammo?
Tungsten super shot or tss. Its almost pure tungsten and double the density of lead shot allowing you to drop way down in shot size and payload but still having more then enough penetration to easily kill even a large bird like a goose.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never thought that #8 shot would stone a goose over 35 yards until I tried it. The down fall is the price. Buying the Cheddite hulls, TPS wads and only loading 13/16 oz payload my cost per shell was over $3 lol

Next hunt I'm trying Heavy Weight 13 and see how that works

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Next hunt I'm trying Heavy Weight 13 and see how that works
You won't be disappointed. I've run the 7/8 oz 4 shot load all season and I'm just stoning the geese with it.

The last three days of hunting though haven't been fair to the geese as I've been landing them at 20 to 25 yards and head shooting them with it lol.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Just curious, how do y'all afford to shoot geese with them?

My cost for turkey loads was like $9-10 a shell, must be a different recipe?
Your shooting what, at least 1 1/2 oz of shot where we're only using 13/16 of an ounce of shot.

I use the hw13 on geese because I can load it at about $1.25 a round in the 7/8 oz load. I shoot a fair number of geese but not enough too break the bank. I figure I spend more in gas in one trip on some hunts then I do in shooting hw13 shells the entire season at geese.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts