Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread will be similar to the one discussing wolf ammo, but I wanted to broaden the spectrum rather than hijack the other thread.

I bought a new beretta 9mm, in reading its owner's manual it says to use either American (SAAMI) or European (CIP) designated "approved" ammo. The reason for this is apparently some of the cheaper brands of ammo (such as Wolf, I have heard) have primers that are harder, which increases the risk of breaking the gun's firing pin. How much truth is there to this? Is firing pin breakage common? Is the concern even legitimate? Which brands should I stay away from? Or is this just a ploy to get you to buy a certain brand of ammo that is in cahoots with the gun manufacturer? I have bought 3 boxes so far- one federal (which I know is American but has no designation of approval on the box), one called Independence (another American brand) and one box of PMC, which I guess was originally made in the US, but is now made in Korea. Can all American brands be trusted? Should all foreign made brands be avoided?

I'm sure that some of this may be opinion based, which I want, but I also want some facts. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Years ago, a buddy and I got a 'Great' deal on some Egyptian 9mm. He had a Baretta 92 and I had my Taurus 99. His gun ran that stuff no problem, mine didn't. I was told later that ammo was machine gun ammo with hardened primers, my Taurus didn't have a hardened firing pin and the Baretta did. Since the 92 was basically a military weapon and the 99 was a civi one that was the difference. That ammo was very brittle, the spent shells would often have cracks down the sides and someone was apparently guessing at the powder charges, one was normal, one was hot and some had no powder at all. I had one occasion at an indoor range where all I got was a primer pop, no powder. The bullet was half way down the barrel, the range guy had to pound it out with a hammer and rod. I finished off that stuff and never got in on 'super' deals anymore. I don't think Wolf sent here is machine gun ammo, its directed at the U.S. handgun market, Wolf aint that great, but its better than the stuff I described for sure. These are my interpretations only, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will add or correct what I said. Have a spare firing pin handy.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
From what I understand, NATO standard 9mm ammo is loaded hotter than commercial stuff. The NATO stuff may be what they are trying to get you to avoid. Some of the older stocks of military surplus could still be loaded with corrosive primers, and like the Egyptian stuff, you may not know what you are getting.

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if I stick with one of the major brands like federal, winchester and such, i should be ok. Right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts