Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if people are seeing good forest grouse numbers as they've been archery hunting. I've spent some time in the woods (northern Utah) and haven't seen as many as previous years.

Please share you thoughts.

thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've been seeing about 3-4 a day. Definitely not as many as last year, but last year was probably the best year for grouse in a decade.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I've seen more grouse this year than I have in the last 10 years where I've been hunting... hope it's still the same in September
Same! Stupid blues just standing on felled logs watching me walk by left and right. Wait til im carrying my shotgun in a couple weeks. Its gonna be chicken fried grouse nugget time for dinner...my favorite :D

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
On Friday we took a walk near our cabin in the Uinta's and flushed a covey of about 8 young ruffs. Most I have seen around there in years.

·
Registered
211 Posts
This year I have seen more than years past, a lot of young ones out their and wow the parents make some strange noises trying to get the young ones back close to them its almost like a squealing cottontail just not as loud.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
This year has been kind of weird, I haven't seen any up high when scouting for elk where I used to see them all the time, but other guys I talk to say they have seen more down low this year than usual. I'm sure the abundance of rain this summer had some impact on the grouse habitats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

Thanks to all those who replied. I hope it is a banner year. Good luck and good hunting.

B

1 - 14 of 14 Posts