Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Has anyone ever seen a hen woodie. All I ever see are pictures of are drakes.
I shot one three years ago and it's the only one I have ever seen. And at OB of all places.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I shot one three years ago and it's the only one I have ever seen. And at OB of all places.
I jumped a hen and two drakes off the weber fly fishing 3 weeks ago. Love wood ducks.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have killed quite a few wood ducks in the past 10 years. All have been off Ogden Bay. 3 drakes and the rest have all been hens. We see a hand full every year. Love those little guys.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Wood Ducks are one of the ducks I won't shoot (along with smileys and mergansers). I killed one by accident as a teen and was sad I had shot it, but it was a beautiful drake. Just a couple of minutes after legal shooting time started and I couldn't clearly identify it. Back in Louisiana Wood Ducks are very plentiful and I just always passed on them because of their beauty. I've helped build and install many a Wood Duck nesting box back in the day. My neighbor raised some domesticated ones in her yard with her chickens for many years. I used to go pass by her house just to look at them and enjoy their beauty. From what I hear, they're quite good eating though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking at both my pictures makes me want to go back and get a bit closer. The hens don't look right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts