Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is pretty far up one of the little canyons where the stream first meets the trail in mill d north fork(Wasatch front). Some pretty extensive work was done they like put up crossbeam a on the tree next to it for maybe stabilizing? Or emergency?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
I don't see the need to give away location details to someone's stand. Why would you do that?
Because it looks like the stands owner is homesteading in the area.

Stands should be removed if you are not going to be using them daily and should not be a permanent fixture in the tree.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because it looks like the stands owner is homesteading in the area.

Stands should be removed if you are not going to be using them daily and should not be a permanent fixture in the tree.
ya this one was permanent they used screw in pegs for ladder too which will no doubt kill that tree once removed. Oh and don't mind they chopped down two green trees to build their cross frame...i assume its legal to also leave out mineral(bait) or whatever that was...they had some green powder on the ground near the tree stand...

i'm guessing, but they could have put this up in plans for the extended archery hunt which doesn't start for 2 weeks...

·
Registered
335 Posts
I see nothing wrong with that treestand setup. In fact, quite the opposite. I would be proud of that setup. It is in no way homesteading or a permanent stand. It appears to me a stand setup to be used for the season. Screw in steps are the norm and will not kill that tree. I've setup several stands that look just like that.

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
I wonder how the owner of that stand would feel after he came back after several days away and found me sitting in it or the stand laying on the ground after someone took it down. Not to mention if they came back and found it gone completely.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I see nothing wrong with that treestand setup. In fact, quite the opposite. I would be proud of that setup. It is in no way homesteading or a permanent stand. It appears to me a stand setup to be used for the season. Screw in steps are the norm and will not kill that tree. I've setup several stands that look just like that.
You must be leaving your steps there permanently too cause big holes in a tree let bugs get in and kill it or if its sapping time they bleed out...

http://wildlife.utah.gov/wildlife-news/1464-tips-for-a-safe-archery-hunt.html

i'd refer to this paragraph
"Smith encourages you to not build a "permanent" tree stand. Instead, use a portable tree stand. "Overtime," he says, "permanent tree stands can deteriorate and become unsafe. And they clutter up the landscape. Also, you can damage or kill trees by hammering nails into them."

"If you're hunting on a national forest or on land managed by the Bureau of Land Management in Utah, you'll have to use a portable tree stand - permanent tree stands are illegal."

those screws diameters are about 4 times the size of a nail...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should have taken it out with you.
Where it was...was not easily accessible so whoever brought it in really worked to put it there...that was my main reason for posting this.
It was a good amount of elevation gain to get to that spot...I would hope they remove it after their done and not just leave it there for next year...cause carrying that in and out will be a good amount of work.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Phorosc
I bet I know who's stands those are and your an idiot if you think it's killing that tree. The stand has probably been in that tree for 10 plus years. The tree is also as healthy as the day it was set up.
The owner could also care less who sits in them.

Who cares what the green stuff is its not illegal to bait. If you actually venture of the trail you'll find stuff like that all over the back country. I'd bet there are 15 stands on the hill you found that stand on.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I know a guy who keeps a stand up in that area also. A number of years ago he broke his back when his treestand fell. I know that he goes in and reinforces his stand every year now. He hunts the stand many evenings and takes down the chair and stuff at the end of the season. I sure don't blame him for wanting a stronger stand.

About that logic of the tree dying- You would think that the trees that held kids' treehouses would have died by the millions all over the country. I can't speak for all the treehouse owners, but the tree my dad built a house in back in about 1973 is alive and well. Grandkids are still using it!

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
I don't think that the problem is about the trees dieing but if they are left in the tree or broken off in it and someone comes along to cut the tree down using a chain saw and hits one of these nails or steps then there can be problems.

Quite a few states are outlawing screw in steps for tree stands and only allow either a ladder or strap on steps.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a stand that i put up before the archery hunt and take down after the rifle deer. I have told many a hunter to use it. I have also ran into other hunters with stands in the same area that tell me the same thing. If we are not in it, go ahead and use it. After hunting in the same spot for more then 20 years, you see alot of the same people every year. I dont see the big deal. Its the same as sitting on a log. If i walk into my stand, and someone is already sitting watching that area, i keep walking. I wouldnt sit next to another hunter that was there first.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Out of general respect, I don't ever use anyone's tree stand unless I have permission. I have always been taught, if it is not yours then don't use it. Now with that being said.

I have seen people leave a laminated note saying" if I'm not here, go ahead and use it. Just take care of it, and please don't take it".

I really appreciate that hunter for sharing and doing the work to get it there.

But for killing the tree, there is no way a nail or spike is going to hurt it. I have many times and been taught in college, to repair trees with bolts and screws. Eventually the tree will over grow it. Just don't ring the tree or leave a cable or strap on. It will suffocate itself if you do.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Phorosc
I bet I know who's stands those are and your an idiot if you think it's killing that tree. The stand has probably been in that tree for 10 plus years. The tree is also as healthy as the day it was set up.
The owner could also care less who sits in them.

Who cares what the green stuff is its not illegal to bait. If you actually venture of the trail you'll find stuff like that all over the back country. I'd bet there are 15 stands on the hill you found that stand on.
Now now we shouldn't be calling each other idiots...Just cause the internet gives you anonymity doesnt mean you should throw out respect and manners... im sure if i met you in person you would think twice about categorizing me as an idiot...

Actually it was just placed there recently as they cut green trees to build whatever they those cross pieces are.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Now now we shouldn't be calling each other idiots...Just cause the internet gives you anonymity doesnt mean you should throw out respect and manners... im sure if i met you in person you would think twice about categorizing me as an idiot...
You obviously don't know Scott. He would not hesitate to say what ever he says online to your face. He might even be a little nicer online than what he would be in person.

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Actually it was just placed there recently as they cut green trees to build whatever they those cross pieces are.
Now if he is cutting green trees without a permit turn him into the Forest Service.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts