Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some time this afternoon and made three sets. This is my first year hunting coyotes, and calling them in is an absolute blast! Had coyotes come in at all three sets, got one at each of the first two sets, and then missed one at the last set.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I absolutely love coyote hunting.
grew up in AZ hunting them! nothing like dogs on a run. Im tweeking some loads for my .243 right now to lay the smack down on dome dogs come Dec-Jan..

3 dogs on 3 sets here in UT? wow!

·
Super Moderator
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is quite the rush seeing them running in! I shot a .223 today and love it! I shot one at about 100 yards and it totally smashed him. The other one was a hit a little far back and it did the spin in a tight circle biting at the wound thing until I hit it again. The biggest mistake I made today was trying to shoot them while they were trotting - I was afraid to make a sound to get them to stop.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
yeah, just let them come as close as they want then give'em the kiss of death.

I usually have a 12ga sitting next to me with some #4 buck shot for the close ones

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Awesome! I've seen coyotes on the deer hunt but never got a shot. Wante to try calling sometime. Have a decoy and everything

·
Registered
299 Posts
It is quite the rush seeing them running in! I shot a .223 today and love it! I shot one at about 100 yards and it totally smashed him. The other one was a hit a little far back and it did the spin in a tight circle biting at the wound thing until I hit it again. The biggest mistake I made today was trying to shoot them while they were trotting - I was afraid to make a sound to get them to stop.
If you just bark like a dog they almost will always stop

·
Administrator
21,352 Posts
Hey Jeff, are you entered in the Evanston coyote hunt thingie?

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
The pro hunter teaching the seminar at cabelas uses a Benelli with Hevi Shot with like 00 shot something or other and has this in the sticks ready to rock and has his AR at his side for the farther ones. Apparently gets surprised with really close ones regularly so chose the shot as his primary shooter.

Reactions: CPAjeff
1 - 17 of 17 Posts