Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to visit two areas for ice fish'n...Pineveiw and Hyrum. Report is rather long..... :mrgreen:

Made it onto Pineview at about 9am Friday. Ice is roughly 14 inches thick top 6-8 inches is previously frozen slush. Wanted to really catch some Crappie. 8) Fished the narrows using a variety of color ice flies, rat finkes, larger jigs, Gizits, etc. Fish'n roughly 35 feet of water. Punched holes in a variety of narrows locations but couldn't get a fish to bite except for the one that probably just bumped into my line as it was pass'n through the area. Don't know if we we're just holding our tongues wrong or what. :p

If we had it in the tackle box we tried it...tipp'n any lure with wax, meal, and night crawler even used some of the stinkest power bait we had. Folks with cameras and hi-tech sonar gizmos indicated they we're seeing fish but having the same luck...nothing intersted in the little morsal tidbit danging in front of them. :| Anyways we were able to keep ourselves amused with cooking up some soup and watching several Moose up on the north side hills.
Still better than working and/or sitting at home in front of the stupid box.

Cook'n it up

This guy was also enjoying a snack.

As we're drive'n back from the View a work buddy MB called and said they're headed to Hyrum early Saturday and asked if we wanted to join them. Guess you know our answer... :D :D

Five of us got on Hyrum about 7:30am. Off on the ATVs we went about a mile east of the boat ramp. Ice was slushy in several areas and made for an interseting ATV ride. :shock: Slush in some spots was 8 inches. Stopped on the north side about 75 yards from the shore. Punched a hole the ice had about 2-3 inches of semi-solid slush maybe 6 inches of ice....the water depth was 18 feet on Chucko's the fish finder. Decided to try it...Sure glad we did. :D As soon as the lure hit the bottom and pulled up 2-3 inches instance ice fish'n gratification :lol: :lol: the hit's started and we all were off to a great "Hyrum" fish'n experience. Using chartuse ratfinks tipped with anything. Between the five of us we iced 11 bows largest was 18 inches and 70 perch sizes 6-7 inches but chunky. Tossed another 30-40 perch back. Had to take your line out if you wanted to eat or take a comfort break. What a great day plus I caught my first Utah bow. :)

My first bow :!: :!:

CR bows

Chucko's bows

MB bows

Perch dinner is a come'n tonight.

It was a fantastic day on Hyrum. Filleted all the perch and it's going to be good eat'n in the neighbor watch'n the Giants/Packers game GO PACKERS :!: :!: Glad the guys took us along to Hyrum. It was FUNTASTIC :!: :!: :wink: :wink:

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
WOW !! :shock:

That's quite a herd !!! Have a good time eat'in those, as you did catch'in 'em !! :)

You're turning into quite an 'icehole' K2 !! Good report !!! 8) 8)

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
K2, you deserved a good day on the ice.
Good to see that you stayed at it.
There will be more days like the one at Hyrum but also more days like at Pineview.
That's what keeps us comming back, right!
Pineview is still a year or 2 away from the good old days.
When that happens, you will have fishing days up there that will be like the one you just had at Hyrum.
I can't wait for that! :D

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
I also tried Pineview Saturday. Nothing! My buddy did hook into a couple somethings that broke his line both times. Absolutely nothing iced though, and from the looks of it, we were not the only ones.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea Grandpa D we really have a taste for some Crappie...haven't had a Crappie dinner since I was a kid back in nothern Illinois. However, Perch are also an excellent dinner choice. I can hardly wait to get them going tonight. :D Great to have a mess to savory over thanks to the invite from the guys. :mrgreen: It was nice having a great ice fish'n experience our fourth time out and on Hyrum. We're totally hooked on fishing (no pun intented) and this is our first year on the ice and really enjoying it except for the first trip experience which you'll know about. We're still a little leary of ATVs on the ice but have total trust in the guys who allow us to ole bitty bags to tag along with them. Sure is fun and helps pass the winter until ice off and the '08 season quest for the large toothy one in PV begins again. Plus we get to expand our northern Utah fish'n species experience with ice fish'n. :)

LOAH...I caught two bows the keeper was almost a little over 17 inches the other was about 11-12 inches. We're not trout eaters so donated the larger one to one of the guys as his mother loves trout. The little one I put back into Hyrum for another day and to grow bigger.

We haven't given up on the quest for Crappie on PV...think we may explore some shallower areas in the narrows on the south side...Grandpa D whatcha think about the south narrow shore line and possibly off cemetary point :?: :?:

Here's some other shots of Hyrum...sure was a great time!! :wink: :wink:

Da spot CR put us on...

Call'n it a day and successful trip...

Look'n west...

Look'n southeast...

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
K2,
You can try the South side. The key is to move around to find the Crappie.
Look for water 40' deep or deeper.
Try fishing where ever you see a point going down to the water.
The Crappie seem to be moving in schools, so when you do find them, you should catch a few before they move on.
I have read reports that people drill a hole and fish for less than 1/2 hour and if no fish, they move 10' or so and find them.
Very hit and miss there.
Keep trying, you will find them sooner or later.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Looks like you guys were just east of Rocky Point. My son caught a 22" bow up near where you were fishing last year. We were on the ice with you, but west and north. We were about 100 yards east of the beach on the north side, maybe 35 yards from shore. We saw you guys. Plus there was another group over by Big Toe, just north of where you were. Any idea how they did? I reported in my Hyrum post. I may go out in the morning, just haven't decided whether to try Porcupine or Hyrum again. I guess it may depend on the weather and what time I wake up!

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cfarnwide said:
I also tried Pineview Saturday. Nothing! My buddy did hook into a couple somethings that broke his line both times.
Well cfarnwide at least you weren't the only ones skunked on the View. We're on the quest to have a good fish'n day up there on the ice yet :!: I'm think'n possibly your buddy hooked into a Tiger Musky :mrgreen: ...but one can never tell. Good clue is if the reel starts a sing'n and the line breaks usually the Tiger has made a visit. Tigers will make a short burst run to return to their resting spot and that's not far. Tigers don't very often take a run that goes for more than 10 yards. Having low lb test for ice fish'n makes it very easy for Tigers to bust line. We've adjusted our drag tension for the just-in-case-scenario. How cool it would be to play and bring up through the hole a Tiger on 6lb mono with a itsy bitsy hook vs the 30lb super braid and a 6-8 inch lure with 3 treble hooks we use during the ice off season.

dunn_gary said:
Plus there was another group over by Big Toe, just north of where you were. Any idea how they did?
Didn't get a chance to chat with other anglers have'n to much fun pull'n fish up. :D Also being our first time on Hyrum unfamiliar with the names for the areas.

Grandpa D said:
K2,
The key is to move around to find the Crappie.
Look for water 40' deep or deeper.
Try fishing where ever you see a point going down to the water.
Grandpa D...thanks we'll continue the quest for the elusive Crappie. Since we upgraded the auger from the manual model to the power model punching holes isn't quite the chore for us gals. We used 1/100 and 1/50 oz rat finkes on Hyrum...any pointers on Crappie lures. We have some gizit jigs and ice cutters...again thanks for your help and advise. :wink: :wink:

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
I'm think'n possibly your buddy hooked into a Tiger Musky :mrgreen:
Its possible. However, he is the carpmaster.

We were in the narrows fishing a little over 20' of water. We switched to fairly large kastmasters (for ice fishing anyway) tipped with meal worms after trying everything else in the tackle box. Started getting light bites on those then suddenly, BAM! He had a fish on. It was obviously large. Anyway, it took off and broke the line. Same thing the second time. He almost had it to the hole when it broke off. Im thinking it was from old line breaking on the edge of the ice.

We tried depths from 10-40 ft. that day and NOTHING! :D Fun getting out though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts