Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the Trumpeter killers made the front page of the Trib this morning. Way to go!!

· Administrator
18,927 Posts
Dangit, I'm dying to read this. They don't sell the Trib in Evingston anymore, I can get a month subscription to the Trib for $1 but get hit for $7.99 a month every month until eternity. There's the "Cancel anytime" clause of course...if I could remember to cancel...yeah, ha ha.

I can't read the Trib's 2021 Trumpeter article also.

· Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dangit, I'm dying to read this. They don't sell the Trib in Evingston antmore, I can get a month subscription to the Trib for $1 but get hit for $7.99 a month every month until eternity. There's the "Cancel anytime" clause of course...if I could remember to cancel...yeah, ha ha.

We thinks it's important to support local journalism. You won't read stuff like the swan story anywhere else. Think of it as costing less than half a box of shells/month.

· Administrator
11,554 Posts
Ya need to run down to the Maverick and buy a paper. Do they still sell papers at the Maverick and 7-11 stores?

I hate it when you have to subscribe to read a article

· Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Subscriptions make local journalism possible. You guys also missed a large article on the water we use to grow alfalfa. Alfalfa makes up 0.2% of our GDP, but uses 68% of our water, 450,000 gallons per ton.

· Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Registered
4,075 Posts
Dangit, I'm dying to read this. They don't sell the Trib in Evingston antmore, I can get a month subscription to the Trib for $1 but get hit for $7.99 a month every month until eternity. There's the "Cancel anytime" clause of course...if I could remember to cancel...yeah, ha ha.

Tell me about it, I just called one newspaper this morning as I got dinged $170 for a year. I don't even remember signing up for the promotion last year. Luckily most are forgiving and offer a refund if you are nice & honest.

I gotta stop falling for those things as they count on you forgetting & not reconciling your accounts.

Wish I could justify a subscription but I never use any newspaper for more than an article or two a month.

· Administrator
18,927 Posts
We thinks it's important to support local journalism. You won't read stuff like the swan story anywhere else. Think of it as costing less than half a box of shells/month.
The swan article in the Trib is important to me, Although, living in Evanston the content of the Salt Lake Tribune is not "local" for me. I wish they still sold the Trib here in town. I would walk by the Trib vending stand often, see something on the front page that caught my interest and then would buy it.

I support the local newspaper here, as-a-matter-of-fact the publisher of the local paper is my duck hunting buddy and we enjoyed the Utah swan hunt together this year. :)

· Administrator
18,927 Posts
Subscriptions make local journalism possible. You guys also missed a large article on the water we use to grow alfalfa. Alfalfa makes up 0.2% of our GDP, but uses 68% of our water, 450,000 gallons per ton.

Thanks for the link. You have to have a subscription to read the article so not all of us can read it..

· Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the link. You have to have a subscription to read the article so not all of us can read it..
I wondered about that. It comes up for me no problem. We've subscribed for 40 years, and will continue our support. But we make our own coffee, so we're way ahead money wise.

· Administrator
18,927 Posts
I wondered about that. It comes up for me no problem. We've subscribed for 40 years, and will continue our support. But we make our own coffee, so we're way ahead money wise.
Yeah, I make my own coffee too, ha ha.

I have subscribed to my local paper for 42 years and will continue to support them.

· Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The article was balanced, if one read to the end. But I think the takeaway for non-hunters is a negative impression of all hunters.

Regardless of the population studies and the apparent increase in numbers of swans, knuckleheads shot at least 20 Trumpeters, either by mistake or intentionally, thereby reducing opportunity for other tag holders. Selfish hunters think that's fine, many disagree. The "I got mine, screw you" mentality amazes me.

Reactions: wyogoob

· Banned
2,068 Posts
The article was balanced, if one read to the end. But I think the takeaway for non-hunters is a negative impression of all hunters.

Regardless of the population studies and the apparent increase in numbers of swans, knuckleheads shot at least 20 Trumpeters, either by mistake or intentionally, thereby reducing opportunity for other tag holders. Selfish hunters think that's fine, many disagree. The "I got mine, screw you" mentality amazes me.
No I think it’s more along the lines of “we all knew the rules when we applied to play the game and we all had equal opportunity to go hunt swans during the length of season that it was open for”.

· Registered
292 Posts

If the topic sparks a conversation like we had on this forum amongst hunters, how can it not be viewed negatively by non/anti hunters.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts