Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after I dropped my wigeon last week, a drake pintail moved to the top of my list. Lucky for me, Gee LeDouche (a member of another forum) was kind enough to offer to take me out in his boat to a spot he knew held some pintails, and quite a few.

Well, we got out today to FB at about 1 and were set up about 30 minutes later. We sat for awhile with a stiff southwind blowing but NOTHING was flying. After awhile, he spotted a flock of something coming at us. We were kind of surprised by the ducks so we kinda just shouldered our guns and each fired a shot just for fun. We were in between two patches of reeds so we saw the ducks take off and figured we were in for a LONG day.

About 15 minutes later, I'm looking along the waterline for anything flying and I see something barely staying afloat in our decoys. I just about had a heart attack...here he was, nice enough to take me out, and I shot one of his decoys. Oh great. Well, I pull out my binoculars just for fun...and it's not a decoy...it's a bufflehead!! I went out and got it and we admired the duck and just kind of laughed about the whole situation. I decided to let him claim the duck since it's his spot.

Well, the wind quit and things were kind of slow. I saw a couple ducks cupped into our spread. The duck got within range and I see this HUGE pin dropping from the lead duck. I dropped it on the second shot and killed my very first pintail!

Later on we had a pair of buffleheads coming into the spread, we both fired at the same time and both birds dropped. Well, my bird dropped anyway...Gee's dropped, hit the water, and got up and flew away...one of the weirdest things I've ever seen!

Shooting was getting close to closing and we were looking for one more duck to get. A pintail came in and Gee hammered that thing...dropped dead.

All-in-all, I think it was a great day and we didn't miss anything we shot at...it might've taken us a shot or two to get it, but not one group of birds got away without us dropping one. Hopefully Gee will post some of the pictures he took...

Here's a picture of my pintail and the drake bufflehead...camera phone pic...doesn't do it justice...I'm currently looking for a taxidermist to take my sprig to

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Beauty.... StuffinDucks is the Pintail master. Tex is another guy that does a good job. There is a guy named Todd Huffman in Southern CO that does exceptional work as well if you don't mind shipping your bird and paying a bit more for a priceless mount. You'll find his info at Birdmanstudios.com. Congrats on that pinner... thats gorgeous... of course, those little drake Buffies aren't too shabby either. 8)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts