Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have then in the corn- anyway of getting rid of them.
They are not coming into a trap with corn around.
Thought about
1. radio out there all night
2. Motion sensor light
3. putting an electric fence around it- wire at 6" and a foot high.

any thoughts on this before I just nuke the area.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
nuke em:painkiller:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
chain your dog nearby. dont try a pellet gun, not strong enough. i use a 22 with shorts.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My Dad has fought them for years. He tried radio and dogs, but they only worked for a couple weeks. He now uses an electric fence. It is a 3 wire with the highest wire at about 1'. It has completely stopped them and has been working great for the last 3 years.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
CCI makes a couple of 22LR subsonic that are pretty danged quiet. Borrow a couple of beagles and turn them loose on the ***** they'll chase them pretty good. ***** are pretty good eating if you clean them right, I've had them a few times and love them. If you need help thinning the herd PM me.

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
We'd put 2 or 3 plantings of sweet corn on the end rows of a corn field, sometimes on a side row if it wasn't up against the woods. Then acorn and butternut squash was planted around the perimeter of the sweet corn. *****, especially the younger ones, hate those spiny things on the squash vines and would back off. It wasn't fool-proof but it helped a bunch. The protective squash thing was moderately successful on home gardens too.

That's not going to help you now, so electric fences work. Got to be at the right height and you have to keep the weeds trimmed off them....even then some ***** learn how to get through them.

I come from sweet corn country. Tens of thousands of acres of it; Del Monte, Stokley Van Camp's, Jolly Green Giant were there, not to mention all the sweet corn seed companies. Man, some of the best **** I ever ate came off the late sweet corn patches there.

good luck

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fence is up- see how it works- hopefully it does and they get discouraged and try the live trap- might be waking people up tomorrow about 5 am.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I just trapped a large boar in my corn. Used a live trap baited with bread and peanut butter. I've only seen the one set of tracks in the corn so far this year.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
You should see the Pioneer Crossing Highway in Lehi/Saratoga Springs....dead **** alley. Probably over a dozen a week get the tire tracks laid on them. One night we were right behind a car that took out 3 at one time crossing the road.

Reactions: Kingfisher

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Legacy highway is littered with dead ***** and skunks

·
Registered
811 Posts
We fought it for years until we got an electric fence. We started with one wire about a foot off the ground and that seemed to work great. A small yappy dog that thinks its a big dog works too. They will chase them off all night. That is until they learn what a skunk is...

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
You should see the Pioneer Crossing Highway in Lehi/Saratoga Springs....dead **** alley. Probably over a dozen a week get the tire tracks laid on them. One night we were right behind a car that took out 3 at one time crossing the road.
Prolly that special salt they spray on the road. (Sorry, the devil made me do it)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts