Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on buying a smoker to smoke fish and other game. Which is better, a gas smoker or an electric? Any help would be helpful.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have used both an electric many times and a gas twice I prefere the gas by far. Reason for this is the electric was always hard to maintain temperature any wind or temperature change outside changed the temp. in the smoker. I strugulled for years till we installed a new doggy door and I decided to run the cord out the new door. When I did this the smoker overloaded and melted the electrical socket I plugged into. For safety reasons I asked for and got a new gas smoker for Christmas and it is a pleasure to use, it holds a steady 200 deg. on low 300 on med. and 350 deg. on high this is without fooling with the vent at all on top. The propane is a little expensive right now, and it's to soon to tell but if this becomes a burden I plan on running a natural gas line from my house out to my smoker. Hope this helps.

Allen

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
archben- that's a nice smoker- I have the propane camp chef------ it's a good smoker but I think if you look at Walmart ( only on the internet) they have a decent propane smoker pretty cheap comparitively speaking.
I think you have to order it on the net and it's delivered to the store nearest you.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys thanks for the info. The cabelas gas smoker was the one I was looking at getting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts