Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was stuck at work, so my season ended a bit earlier. But my middle son wanted to finish the season out to the very end. I didn't really have much lined up, so I set him out on an old spot that gets some traffic. I didn't have big expectations, but he just wanted to hunt one last time.
So off he went, hoofing it over 2 miles through the ice and water. He set his own spread, made his own hide and sat in the cold and snow, to finish the season his way.
A pictures worth a thousand words. Not to bad for a kid with a little ambition.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Nice. It reminds me of some of my hunts alone as a teenager, battling the snow and the ice in hopes of finding a great spot. They were great growing experiences - they taught me a lot about risk/reward analysis, planning, observation, and of course, hard work. And after all the hard work, it sure was sweet when everything came together and I found some success.

Congrats to your son, and I'm glad you were able to help him out a bit. I'm sure that hunt will be unforgettable.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice. It reminds me of some of my hunts alone as a teenager, battling the snow and the ice in hopes of finding a great spot. They were great growing experiences - they taught me a lot about risk/reward analysis, planning, observation, and of course, hard work. And after all the hard work, it sure was sweet when everything came together and I found some success.

Congrats to your son, and I'm glad you were able to help him out a bit. I'm sure that hunt will be unforgettable.
Thank you, I think it's safe to say he won't be forgetting that hunt for a long, long time. Something about those 4 pieces of jingle on his lanyard will keep reminding him about the rewards of hard work, and perseverance.
Later,
Kev

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks like you guys have had a great season on the honkers. Are you guys hunting mainly out in the Basin area?
Thank you. We did have a pretty good year, mostly just glad to be back at it.
Nope, not the Basin. Never even been there.

Later,
Kev

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HOLLY CRAP! That is one heck of a way to end! Were the bands local birds? I can't belive it!
No locals. 2 were out of Washington, banded 3 years apart, one from Oregon, and one out of Alberta.
He killed one by its self, and the others out of two different flocks.

Later,
Kev

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
No locals. 2 were out of Washington, banded 3 years apart, one from Oregon, and one out of Alberta.
He killed one by its self, and the others out of two different flocks.

Later,
Kev
Buy a lotto ticket! That's unheard of!!! Congrats to him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts