Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll admit it. I'm going to hopefully take advantage of the "Preference Point Loop Hole" this year to help my wife and brother both get a muzzleloader deer tag for the Manti unit. I've never cared or tried to understand it in the past, but I'm going to now. Due to younger kids/etc I've been putting the wife in for a preference point for a few years and she now has 4 points. My brother has 0 points. Assuming I put them in a group my understanding is they average the points to 2. If this is correct and I put them in for the 1st choice Anyweapon Thousand Lakes and 2nd choice Muzzleloader Manti I'm assuming they will not draw the 1st choice (see draw odds for both below), but due to the 2 pts will potentially draw the muzzleloader tag ahead of others who put in for the Manti as their 1st choice but only have 0 and 1 point? Is my assumption correct or am I way off. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Any guess's as to how many are going to be applying for Thousand lakes general deer,
1st choice, this year????

Got a feeling the number of applicants is going to really climb...:!:.....

·
Super Moderator
9,659 Posts
Wouldn't it be even funnier if the WB changed the rules just before the draw to where if you don't draw your first choice you go into a pool with all the other applicants on your second choice?

Stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
Wouldn't it be even funnier if the WB changed the rules just before the draw to where if you don't draw your first choice you go into a pool with all the other applicants on your second choice?

Stranger things have happened.
That is the LE system. They just need to take your points if you draw any gen tag. So simple to fix, restores the system back to its original intent. Ah well.

-DallanC

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
That is the LE system. They just need to take your points if you draw any gen tag. So simple to fix, restores the system back to its original intent. Ah well.

-DallanC
IMO this is most likely were deer hunting is headed in Utah.....All LE.

No more general deer season OR deer preference points,
There is a study taking place now by the DWR as to, 'how to' incorporate this.

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
IMO this is most likely were deer hunting is headed in Utah.....All LE.
Worst possible decision, that will simply raise up point creep across all units in the state.

No more general deer season OR deer preference points,
There is a study taking place now by the DWR as to, 'how to' incorporate this.
If i've learned anything about politics when some "group" goes off behind closed doors to create new policy, it always benefits special interest groups the most. Common man has no chance in this game.

They want to discuss alternatives to the system fine, make it a PUBLIC process. Lets see unbiased SURVEYS asking the SPORTSMEN of this state what they feel the best direction is.

I get so sick of change, it always changes for the worst.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If I've learned anything about politics when some "group" goes off behind closed doors to create new policy, it always benefits special interest groups the most. Common man has no chance in this game.

-DallanC
I wonder what/who that "special interest group" will be? I'll give you two chances to guess the three letter acronym.

·
Waitin' 4 Fall
128 Posts
So do I understand it that if you draw your second choice for the general season (which you drew because you had more points than some first choice applicants for that hunt), you retain your points?

I just put in for a fourth NR general deer point. I'm hoping to finally draw a LE elk tag but planning to do another general season deer hunt one of these years.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Yes, unless they close the loophole. Which they can do at any time.
Yes, they could.
But they wont...........IMO

It will have to go through the RAC /Board process.

I dont see this happening until after a result on the deer point study is resolved.

Reactions: JuddCT

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
I cant even fathom how pissed off hunters in Utah would be to only be able to choose ONE single LE species (Deer OR Elk OR Antelope).

Plus you still have 4k lifetime deer license holders to deal with... if you try to take away their tags, its class action lawsuit time. You start handing out LE Deer tags to them every year, you get an uproar from the rest of the hunters.

There is no win here in trying to change it... period. Leave it as is, just close the loophole. Done.

-DallanC

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I cant even fathom how pissed off hunters in Utah would be to only be able to choose ONE single LE species (Deer OR Elk OR Antelope).

-DallanC
If I'm not mistaken you can only select ONE LE species per year already as it is now...or did I miss something that would allow me to build both Deer and Elk points at the same time?

I'm aware of and deciding to not use the loophole. Mostly because I don't want to risk actually drawing a tag I don't even want and because I prefer Elk over Deer. Now if any of you know of a loophole for Antlerless Elk you have my undivided attention.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If I'm not mistaken you can only select ONE LE species per year already as it is now...or did I miss something that would allow me to build both Deer and Elk points at the same time?
I think what he's is referring to (and please correct me if I'm wrong Dallan) is if all deer permits were made LE then a guy could not apply for a general season deer tag AND a LE elk or LE deer or LE pronghorn. You would need to choose between elk or deer or pronghorn with the AND option of the general season deer tag being gone. That is assuming that they would discontinue the general season permit and make all deer permits limited entry.

I would not be in favor of this type of change, because I love to hunt both deer and elk. The deer hunt is one that I do with family while the elk hunt is the one that do with friends and I enjoy both equally... I would hate to have to choose.

I would be in favor of leaving the limited entry and general season deer tag designations as in, but simply closing the "loophole" by matching the general deer permit drawing to the antlerless drawing where if a tag is drawn (regardless of 1st or 5th choice) then the successful applicant would have their points set to zero.

·
Super Moderator
9,659 Posts
I doubt that if the DOW does away with the system as it is now that they would call the deer hunts Limited Entry. They would all be general season tags but some would take 10+ years to draw.

At least that is what I think that they will do.

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
I think what he's is referring to (and please correct me if I'm wrong Dallan) is if all deer permits were made LE then a guy could not apply for a general season deer tag AND a LE elk or LE deer or LE pronghorn. You would need to choose between elk or deer or pronghorn with the AND option of the general season deer tag being gone. That is assuming that they would discontinue the general season permit and make all deer permits limited entry.
Correct, some people want general deer season to go away, the entire state be LE deer and use the Bonus point system. Thats then where you get into the "can only apply for 1 le species" being deer, elk or antelope.

-DallanC

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
I doubt that if the DOW does away with the system as it is now that they would call the deer hunts Limited Entry. They would all be general season tags but some would take 10+ years to draw.

At least that is what I think that they will do.
How then do you deal with 4k lifetime license holders?

-DallanC

·
Super Moderator
9,659 Posts
How then do you deal with 4k lifetime license holders?

-DallanC
That is something that they will need to figure out. They'll also have to figure out something to do with the dedicated hunter program if they want to keep it as it is now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts