Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks, just wondering how the general is treating everyone? down here in the southern park of the state we had some semi early rutish behavior, but the heat has put a stop to that. ive had a few opportunities so far at cows, but pasted due to poor shot windows.

How is everyone else doing? lets see some success pic

·
Registered
983 Posts
Between last Sat and Sun I spent 17 hours in a blind, only saw moo cows. The elk were in this spot real heavy during the last week of the hunt last year so we are spending the last 5 days of the hunt in that blind/drainage. Even had lots of elk and the bigger bull on trail cam in velvet this summer. I think the heat has them up higher than where our blind is. Basically put all my eggs in that basket for GS elk this year so crossing my fingers we can either locate them or have one pass by the blind. Couple pics from last year ,couple days after the hunt ended.
Plant Tree Natural landscape Biome Grass

Plant Natural landscape Elk Tree Biome

·
Registered
32 Posts
How high(er) is higher elevation? I'm jumping on the mountain this weekend to go try and find some up here in Northern Utah. I am planning to get into it yet all experience is welcomed gents!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
If I were trying to arrow a bull in this heat, I'd be sitting tight on water or a wallow.
The moon is getting bigger now, and they will frequent water less often during the daylight. If you know of a water source that's within 100 yards of some heavy timber, that would be a good area.
I think that as hunters, we seem to hit the areas we have seen elk in the past. Not bad, but not great also. We need to adapt to the conditions that are presented at the time. There is reason they say...5% of elk hunters will kill an elk, and 95% of hunters that understand elk will kill elk every year. I sure the heck aint in the 95% category.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Elk talk is hit and miss right now. Bulls are starting to cruise for cows but aren’t on fire yet. I called in a bull last week, he came in completely silent. Tried bugling at him after he walked off, he stopped and listened, another bull above us answered me, and he thought about answering, but started feeding instead. I’m still seeing groups of mature bulls together, now a cow in sight. I suspect with things cooling off next week that they might really start to get rolling.

·
Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
832 Posts
I am chasing a 6x6 400 yards off of Wasatch Blvd. Any lower and he will need to pay rent.
That's someone's pet. Careful on that one :) That's awesome. I shot my biggest deer 100 yards from my truck and in the foothills.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You and a bunch of others if you keep posting on public forums about it lol
[/QUOT
That's someone's pet. Careful on that one :) That's awesome. I shot my biggest deer 100 yards from my truck and in the foothills.
[/QUOTEAbout 40 years ago I shot a 5 point buck on what is now the Shoreline Trail. I hiked up to an old haunt today and ran into no less than 20 folks to include dog walkers, trail runners, bike riders, two does and other hunters. It seems the ridges are popular places now a days.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I am chasing a 6x6 400 yards off of Wasatch Blvd. Any lower and he will need to pay rent.
It's been hot all across the US. At what elevation are all the Americans living?

While being herd animals it's unlikely the elk are all in the same spot. That bull probably lives there year round, as do the ones by the Jordan river. It doesn't mean the elk at 11k are wrong for being up there. Some elk migrate and some don't... Same goes for people.

Good luck to those chasing elk this season. In Utah it's fun from 2000ft to 13,528ft.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was done watching does while hunting Deer and was loading my gear into my vehicle when out of the corner of my eye I see two Elk, a cow and runt. I look 100 yards behind them and there stands a 5x5 bull. I have no more than 15 minutes of shooting light. I grabbed my bow, got behind some cover and proceeded to cow call. I got him into 50 yards behind one more oak tree. And time was up. Tomorrow I will take a bugle and pick a fight with him. More to follow.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I was done watching does while hunting Deer and was loading my gear into my vehicle when out of the corner of my eye I see two Elk, a cow and runt. I look 100 yards behind them and there stands a 5x5 bull. I have no more than 15 minutes of shooting light. I grabbed my bow, got behind some cover and proceeded to cow call. I got him into 50 yards behind one more oak tree. And time was up. Tomorrow I will take a bugle and pick a fight with him. More to follow.
If you bugle at him, (picking a fight) he may leave the county and take the cow with him.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts